Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
Let me start off by saying that I am not new here. I had a 96 KDX200 about 4yrs ago. I liked it for trail riding and putting around. I did not know how that bike should have felt when I bought it, but something was wrong with it come to find out. It ran good down low, but it was like it hit a brick wall when it should have gotten on the pipe. Anway, I was out with a few friends riding the other day and we are all 21-24. Im 24, 6' 190lbs. We were just out messing around on a Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4, a 97 XR80 and a 94 YZ80. Of course the bikes were ridiculously small, but I had a ton of fun and I really want to get back into riding. I need a hobby.

I want to buy another bike but I have a couple questions. How much faster is a 125cc compared to an 80cc? That YZ80 would have smoked my KDX bad. Im not ready for a 250 and Im really not sure that I am ready for a 125. I feel comfortable on a bike, but I am not by any means a good rider. I just like to ride around and enjoy the trails, but I also like to open it up when I can. Im not into big hillclimbs or anything like that. I am looking at all of the japanese 125's mainly because they are pretty cheap and I dont have too much money to work with. I just want a bike that I wont get bored with after a month and want more. I just ride trails, so its not tight woods or anything. I would really like to ride a KDX that ran right. Other than the issues it had I loved that bike. I should have never sold it and learned how to fix it properly, but I bought a "cough" 400EX.

Sorry that was kind of long, but hopefully ya'll can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Joey

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
I guess I should have done this the first time....

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)

6' 190lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?

5 on a 1-10

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????

Trails/Fireroads

4) Do you have any riding experience?

Yes but Im not Ricky Carmichael

5) Do you think you will race ?

Probably not, but I cant rule out a Harescramble or something down the road

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?

Yes

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?

Not really brand preference, but I like how easy it is to work on and the feel of a 2 stroke.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?

Yes
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?

Im on a tight budget so $1000-$1500

10) Do you live in California?

Nope
11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I just want a fun bike that I can get better at riding on.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
A 125 2 smoker is hard to be cause you can get em so cheap. KDXs tend to be more pricey for one of comprable age. Just make sure you look for a nice clean well maintained one. Some bikes barely get ridden, while others take a beating on a daily basis. Around here it seems you're better off to buy a bike from the city than one from outside of town.

Racerjoey1

Jun 19, 2002
I have another question about a 125. With my size, would I be better off looking at 250's? Like I said I have riding experience, but Im not experienced on a fast bike like that. Im just wondering how many have started off on a 250?

Joey

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
i think that with a 125 would be perfect. my bike is the size of a new 250 and its a 125. there is a huge diff. in power from a yz80 to a 125. my 125 smokes my friends 07 ktm 250. dont go with those no name bikes there is a reason there so cheap you get what you pay for. stay with big name brands like honda yamaha ktm ... if you look on craigslist.org then you can find some great deals on 125's

georgia_tom

Feb 22, 2008
I have a yz250 and it is my very first bike, ever! I had never rode a bike before i got this. Yeah, it has a lot of power, and it's crazy fast, but you just have to get used to it. That's all i did, just get on it and ride the thing. It's no big deal like some people think it is. All i do is ride trails and freeride and stuff. Oh, yeah, i got mine for under $2000.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom