trist007

Oct 3, 2007
I have a 2008 KTM 530 EXC-R. I've been messing around with different jets to get it just right. Anyhow, I just put everything back together and got ready to start it. I noticed there was fuel leaking. I checked it out. On the bottom of the carb, there's a hose that leads out. That's the one that was leaking. What did I do? I noticed that in the carb, where those left and right floatie things are, they came off. That little needle that hinges it on to the inside of the carb had slipped out. Also, that little diamond shape thingy came off. So I hung the diamond shape thingy onto the little ledge in the center of those two floaties. Mind you the bottom of the carb was facing down. I didnt take the whole carb out, I just unhooked it from the air hose that leads to the engine block, brought it lower and twisted it so that the bottom of the carb was exposed on the left side of the bike. Anyhow, i put those floatie things back in with the diamond shape thing hanging down and hinged the floaties back with that little needle. Then put everything back together. What did I do wrong. When I turn the fuel on it just flows fuel right out of that bottom hose.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The "diamond shaped thingy" aka the float valve should not face down. It points up. Turn it over.

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
Yeah reopened and saw that. Saw how the diamond thing has a rubber tip that goes plugs that hole with the float is up. I'm glad it happened, that way I learn more about the mechanics of the carb.

Well guys, finally I got the carb working right. I bought this 2008 KTM 530 EXC-R in February, hehe. I ride in San Antonio, which is around 600 ft in elevation. I had a 180 main 48 pilot. When I bought it at the dealership they told me that it came out very lean out of the factory, so they put in a TP needle with the notch in the 3rd slot. After about 100 miles in. The plug fouled big time and I couldn't get it to start. I took the plug out for the first time and it was all wet. So I ordered the JD Jetting Kit. Mind you this was around March. I changed the jets to a 175 main and a 42 pilot and put in the red needle, which is for hot weather (I don't like how there's no identification on the needle other than the red mark on the top of it). Anyhow, I tried that and started it up. The throttle would fluctuate every 5 secs without me doing anything. I then switched back to the TP needle. That still didn't work, cause the plug was getting all wet. Then I talked to a friend of mine who's going to Baja, Dan Alford, who has a 2006 ktm 530 and he told me what worked for him was to keep the stock jets, 180 main 48 pilot and to just get a slightly richer needle, the TP needle hehe.

So just today I switched the jets and the needle back to the way I had it when I got it out of the dealership. Mind you, I work out of town during the week, so I just don't have that much time. Now I figured since it was running too rich last time, I put the notch on the very 1st slot at the top, to make it as lean as the needle will allow. It took me a good 30 mins to start it. It would just backfire. I thought the spark plug was the problem (would it backfire if the spark plug wasn't working?). Anyhow, after a grueling 30 mins, me all sweaty, it finally started. Man it ran great. Rode it for about 2 hrs nonstop. I was scared for the engine to die, cause in the past, when it died, I couldn't restart b/c the plug would be all wet. Plus the battery needed charging, since it was dead from doing alot of e-starting. I just got back, checked the plug, and it's in great shape.

Man all this for nothing hehe, should've just called my friend hehe. However, at the same time, I'm glad I went through all this trouble. I've learned so much about the mechanics of the carburetor. I'm really proud of myself hehe. Anyways, thanks guys for all the advice. I had a post on this a month or two ago. Thanks again. Happy riding to all!!!

Top Bottom