I had to weld my oil plug (it sucks)...

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
My (former) mechanic put so much tension in the oil plug last time, then when I had to remove it, it sucked down the aluminum threads from the case as well... Damn... :|

The cheapest way to solve the problem was to weld the plug with silicon-based industrial glue. Maybe it wasn't the most advanced technical solution, but it did stop the oil leak... ;)

The newest problem is that now I need to change the oil, and I don't know how... I've heard something about removing the clutch cover, but I wonder how do I know when all of the oil was drained, and also if I need to replace the gasket everytime (Gez$z$...) :ugg:

Any help here would be hot...

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Youa re not going to want to hear this but take the motor out and have the hole heli-coiled. It restores the threads to stock condition.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I'll second what kawie said.

On the other hand, you can change it through the clutchcover, but it is a messy job.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
what about turning the bike upside down? Doing that every three rides makes the helicoil not sound so bad!

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by bclapham
what about turning the bike upside down? Doing that every three rides makes the helicoil not sound so bad!

Thats right turn the bike upside down and open up the filler plug.OR take the clutch cover off and lean the bike to the right.I would do it the right way,but you can get away with this.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
LOL...I feel for your situation, but if you do decide to go with the upside down change method...Please take photos and share with us! :)

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Or you could just run a drill through it & glue it back up every time!! :)

Hey Jay I see you have a GS, my 1100 decided to pull it’s threads twice (yes I do have a torque wrench just they are an old bike by now -made out of recycled coke cans by the look)

I had replaced the sump plate (removable on a bus-like GS) with a 2nd hand one (helicoil failed), the 2nd time I thought stuff it & welded in a turned up piece of machine quality ally with a new thread.

Bliss.

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
A Self tapping bolt would have been sooo much easier!! And only would have run you around $3 at your local hardware store!!

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
What's exactely this "self tapping" bolt? Do you have any pictures?
Thanks...

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
I don't have any pics, but I think I can explain. A self-tapping bolt is tapered, meaning the top of the bolt is smaller in diameter than the bottom (bottom being the head). So when you start to turn this bolt in, it taps (re-threads) the hole as you go. Generally you will get a bolt one size bigger than the one that you stripped out, and you should be all set. Sometimes you will run into a problem such as these bolts are a little longer than normal drain plug bolts, and you might hit gears in your case. In that case, you simply get a bolt the same size as the self-tapping, and screw the self-tapping in as far as it can go, then take it out and put in the other bolt. This happened to me 2 months ago, and I haven't had a problem since. Pain in the a$$ fixed for $5!

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I have also seen rubber drain plugs which are designed to replace automotive drain plug bolts that strip. Never tried it but perhaps you can find one that would fit?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I'd go with Stew312's advice. Reguardless I woulld replace the self tapper with a bolt that is the same length as your stock bolt.

2000SE

May 7, 2002
Thats usually what happens a lot right. When the threads get stripped out, you would usually drill out the hole clean and just re-tap it right?. Requires a larger diameter bolt but that would the obvious.

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
I really would like to thank you all for the help...

This DRN is THE thing!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…