bcollie7

Nov 2, 2006
So I just got a 2003 yz250, and I've been going through the bike and just doing some needed general maintance, but when I went to drain the oil and evaluate it the top of the drain plug bolt was rounded off and I could not break it loose with anything.

Since the aluminum is soooo soft on this bolt head the situation quickly became worse. So I purchased a bolt extractor and a drill bit to accompany the size of the drain plug so that I could hopefully manage to get this thing out.

After spraying and letting pb blaster penetrate for over a day I drilled my bit into the drain plug and then proceeded to use the extractor and t handle tap to break this thing loose, but the d*mn extratcor bit broke off inside the drain plug.

Now I don't know what to do next. Am I screwed or does anyone know how I can get this drain plug out? Any help is greatly appreciated.

p.s. It hasn't budged any yet.

xcracer72

Uhhh...
May 28, 2006
those extractors extract only money from your pocket they suck!! you can grind a couple of sides flat and use a set of vise grips. sometimes it can be confusing since you are inverted, figuring out which was is lefty loosie. depending on the bike you may be able to take the :inner" clutch cover odd and work it on the bench

mg89

Mar 11, 2006
Well extractors work pretty well, my drain plug got stuck too. Vise grips will probably work better. The drain plug is probably stripped, just re-thread it after getting it out.

bcollie7

Nov 2, 2006
I've tried a hammer and chiesel already along with vice grips. But the top of the bolt is to the point now where I can not even get a grip on it at all.

I assume that the only thing left for me to do is to drill the hole out completely and then re-thread it. However I didn't want to take this approach. Also I was thinking that maybe if I ground the top of the bolt off completely and then tried to extract just the threads out that it might work.

Anyway I look at it this is becoming a pain in the butt. :bang:

B

biglou

Yamaha OEM drain plugs are the worst. You are probably missing the crush washer between the bolt flange and the case and it has galled. If you can get it to move just a hair, it will break loose. Try drilling the head only off the bolt with a 1/2" bit, then see if the shank will thread out from the hole.

The last one like this I removed was from a 98 YZ400F. We had the engine out of the bike and on a die cart, one guy with a torch heating the case, one guy with an extractor and hammer, and one guy with a punch and hammer. It took us a while, and it finally popped loose and was only finger tight the rest of the way out.

Top Bottom