I have a few simple questions.

Kyleb15

Oct 8, 2004
1. Whtat about sleeves? I have read that putting in a sleeve will make the bike run hotter. I am putting a sleeve in Yz 125. The guy that is doing it says that new technology and what not, made better sleeves that dicipate heat better. Is this true? Should I have any worrys with the sleeve?

2. I think I seized it up becuase I was running up a big chat dump all day. About 4th WOT, then when I got to the top I would let off the gas. I have read that this shutts of the fuel/oil when you get to the top. and the piston is still moving as fast as it was. How do I stop this? This has got tobe a common probablem, becuase I know I am not the only one to run these bikes like this.

3. Once I get the cylinder back I am going to try to jet it right. It will be standard again. It has 270 main, 40 pilot and 2nd from the top needle. i have been told this bike runs great stock. Should I change the jetting back to stock and go from there?

4. Is there a chart or something on how to tell fuel ratios? I run 2.5 ounces to a gallon. Is this 32:1? How many ounces is 32:1?

Thanks

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Yep.

You're running a touch over 50 to 1, which is ok if you use good oil, but might not be a good idea if you get your oil at 7-11.

Kyleb15

Oct 8, 2004
I am running Bel-ray H1R. Wow I am running 50:1. It doessnt smoke to much. 2:1 seems over kill but I am going to try it.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Kyleb15 said:
2:1 seems over kill but I am going to try it.
:think:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I don't care how good the oil is I would never run 50:1 on a 125, especially one that your running WOT for extended periods like you stated you did this one.

Kyleb15

Oct 8, 2004
Ok then. What about the talk that increasing the oil will lean it out. Wont that have an affect on the bike too. Can someone explain this. Should I just stay with the jetting I havve in now or go back to stock? It is all standard except a FMF fatty and powercore 2. Anybody have any suggestions about questions 1 &2.

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
More oil= less gas = runs leaner. 32:1 ratio is what I have heard reccomended the most. I would run that ratio and jet your bike properly. ask a local dealer or someone who races what jets they reccomend. just make sure the person you ask actually knows what they're talking about

sleeves do not transfer heat as well as a plated cylinder will. they also wear out faster and cost more.

when you chop the throttle, you're cutting off the oil and gas that cools and lubricates the engine, which is the perfect way to cause a sieze. To be honest, I do not have very much riding experience, (I have crap bikes, so most my time is spent working on them rather than riding), so I do not know what would work in your particular situation. However, here are the things you could do:

1. let off hte gas gradually
2. pull in the clutch as soon as you let off the gas
3. use the brakes to slow you down as you gradually let off the gas

Hope this helps!

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Pull in the clutch and hit the killswitch, it should let a charge of gas/oil go through the engine unignited and take out some heat from the engine. I do not know how well it works, but Ive heard thats one way to slow down from WOT safely.

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
I don't understand why you would keep 4th pinned when you have a few more gears to go?

I have a bit of experience in full throttle races and the best way to prevent cylinder damage is to just pull in the clutch. That brings the RPM down, while the tires are still turning.

Kyleb15

Oct 8, 2004
I don't understand why you would keep 4th pinned when you have a few more gears to go?

Dude that was possibly the stupidest quetion I have ever heard! There are a number of reasons why me or someone else would stay in 4th. First, maybe a person only had a short runway. Second, maybe I just didnt want to go into 5th. Third, 5ht gear and I probably would have jump the chat dump. Fourth, 5th gear is damned fast! Does that answer your question. Sorry, but if I am understanding you right, that was a stupid question. Thanks for the replies guys.

j_freak

Feb 7, 2004
The question about shifting up to 5th was a valid question. you probably shouldnt have jumped on that guy for asking it, but oh well.

YZracer shouldnt be posting unrelated junk on this thread, and the "get a manual" answer was exactly what I was gonna tell him. I really have no respect for someone who can afford a 2000 yz 125, but cant spend 15 bucks on a manual to learn how to work on it. Now if he had a 1975 yz or some other worn out old cheap bike (hehe, like I have), I'd be more lenient, but that's not the case...

Kyleb15

Oct 8, 2004
Finally somebody that understands! But, really what does staying in fourth have to do with anything? The straight fact is, I just wanted to be in fourth. Sorry gowen.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Kyleb15 said:
#1YZ125RACER how old are you? 11...12...? If I were you I would shut up or else you won't get any help at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black. Perhaps he should have waited until you read his own thread and maybe offered an answer since you own the same bike. But it appears your only interest here is having your questions answered I wish you luck with that given the attitude you've displayed in this thread towards him and the person who tried to ask a simple question about shifting up (even if you felt it was a pointless question). Could it be you snapped at YZ125RACER because your embarrased that even though you own that bike you don't know the answer to his question? Based on this reply I would say that is likely the case.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
methings Kyleb15 and #1YZ125RACER need to get a room

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
If you can read this, I'm not yet deleted. :-)

:blah:

For some reason, I'm getting the assumption that this youngin' is the author and rider of the video in the Caption this Video forum. Now, I could think of alot of new ideas for captions. :laugh:

Kyleb15

Oct 8, 2004
Hey Gowen, dont call me a "youngin' "!!!! That post was my opinion!!!! Drop it!! This thread has already gone to ****. SOMEONE DELETE IT

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…