rabbit99

Dec 11, 2004
Ive been waiting for 3 weeks for an 05 Yamaha TTR125 (After finding out there are no 04 models left in all of Australia) and it finally got delivered to the dealer yesterday, so I rushed in to pick it up. In Australia you can get an ADR compliant model of the TTR, meaning that it can be ridden on the road, which is a big bonus.

Im really happy with the bike, except I keep going to change up a gear only to find that I'm in top gear already !!. The speedo wasnt wired up correctly and the needle on the speedo doesnt move at all, so I have to take it back tomorrow, then I'm planning to find out the top speed :-)

I had trouble with the bike stalling when in neutral, even with the choke on full, and having left it idle for a couple of minutes, but this may just be due to it being so new. However it does seem very forgiving if I let the revs drop right down in higher gears, and the engine braking is really good too.

First gear seems a little useless as its too slow and revs too high to do any real manouvering, and the throttle is quite touchy in first gear, so Im wondering if changing the sprocket will make much difference.....

Its amazing how much more confident I feel on this bike, although I will need to get used to standing up, as the bike doesnt have much to grip on to with my knees :-)

Planning a ride for Sunday.... Hoping I dont drop the bike - its the first time Ive had a brand new bike and I imagine its very painful to impart new character marks....

El

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Ahhh, the TTR125...the first bike I got out of first gear! Congrats!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Awesome! Congrats!

Don't worry about those, ahem, charater marks. My bike was the first and only new thing I have EVER bought. I loved that first day when she was all shiny . . . now she's one big rolling character mark. Be glad you don't have radiators or a big ol' two stroke pipe to dent and bend.

Tinkrides

Oct 7, 2004
Both my bike, my gear, and I have some GREAT character marks - I can't imagine a better way to get them. CONGRATS on the new bike - how exciting. Good luck and have fun discovering that top speed (I have yet to do that on my 100... ARG!).

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
You can change the gearing to allow it to go a little faster by putting on new sprokets. They aren't that expensive!

There are several mods you can do to your bike, when you recover from having to pay for it first of course!

Have a good time!!!
SusanE

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
El, the ttr is cold-blooded. She's definitely worse if not ridden for a while. I've never bothered stuffing with the jetting though (do a search on the mini forum for a few tips about it). The other thing you should do is, either find out how to put a chain back on the sprocket or b) get a decent chain guide (BBR make them).

I unload my bike & start her up, then eventually think about getting ready to go riding. Oh, the other thing I've found is if I've forgotten to turn the gas on, or the choke on, she just doesn't want to play (the kdx I can get away with forgetting the gas for a few minutes & the choke is more a token gesture).

I've also found spare levers is a good thing. Oh the one thing that really pisses me off about the ttr is the gear shifter - it's like putty. I dropped it once & now often have to bend it back out. It's a fun bike but there are some niggly things that drive me nuts about it.

The stock chain doesn't last overly long before it starts jumping off the sprocket (I had a demo bike for a couple of weeks and first encountered chains off the sprocket - I've now learnt to check the chain often, but even more importantly, how to fix it). It's the rear sprocket and is not a biggie, but if you have a half-way decent look at the chain guide (compared to others) you'll see why.

I can't think of anything else (the heat-shield missing from mine is due to a run-in with something rather than a design fault - coming ex somewhere), the spark plug lasted around a year putting behind kids, the gas tank may as well be disconnected, it just doesn't use any, the air filter doesn't require much looking at, let alone cleaning, the oil, well, it's a low stress engine ;)

Enjoy your new toy and don't cry too hard when you do leave the first character marks, it's part of it :)
Have fun

Top Bottom