I just rode the CRF 450!

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
I honestly can't imagine riders still buying brand new XR400's at $5000+, when there are plenty of other, far superior, bikes to ride for the same money (or maybe slightly more). Now I'm sure Honda would LOVE to continue selling a bike that they have maybe, MAYBE $1800 in actual construction cost in, for more than twice that to their dealers. But, are guys going to continue to buy them? Sounds like smoke & mirrors to me, they would lose a huge market segment. But, then again, maybe the market segment isn't that huge compared to cruisers, sport bikes & PWC??:think

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Scott,

While I agree with you in theory, it seems that Honda really has no trouble selling the XR's. There is a huge population of riders that want a true "flog it to death and put it away wet" type bike. Bikes you don't have to change the oil in every ride.

I truely belive that (just guessing here) a good 60% of dirt guys are the weekend warrior, take the kids out to the woods and putt around for a couple of hours type riders. This is what the XR does best (that and survival rides like Baja) and that is why they sell so many of them.

Why do you think the tour groups in Baja and Costa Rica all have XR's? You cant kill em, joe smoe rider can't kill em.

Please Honda, update the XR (or do a CRF enduro) but I do belive there will always be a market for the air cooled bombproof bike.

Rod

Last edited:

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
Honda has become such the "Tree Hugger" corp.
I can't see them expanding the CRF into a woods bike, but it's not to difficult to change it yourself. I also read that Johnny C will be capaigning the CRF in the desert too.

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
Rodzilla has some good points. I have an XR and KTMmxc400 - The ktm is fast/light and a thrill to ride - but I wish I enjoyed working on the bike more to keep up with the additional maintenance (I believe it is required based on eveything you read). My XR is a second bike that is thrashed by friends and myself with 'next to no maint.' and it still just keeps running. Ideally ---- crf flavored XR with electric start. You just can't beat the magic button - I am still trying to put a value on the button - I am up to at least a grand and still going.

Scott in KC

~SPONSOR~
Aug 28, 2000
Rod, I can see your point and agree that the bikes are indeed bullet proof. And yes the fleet guys will want to run them too. But dollar for dollar, are guys that walk into a multi-brand cycle center going to choose the XR over a DRZe, & WR at roughly the same price. Hey I'd love to get a used $2500 one to have on hand for a loaner and backup, but I would never pay retail on that bike over a DRZe or WR either one. Long running models like the XR are huge cash cows for the mfg. so I can see the continuing. Just would be shame not to get a shot at a 450 enduro. Let's keep our fingers crossed. Meanwhile I'll happily flog my new WR for a few years.:)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…