cr250can

Feb 16, 2005
My own 450 shoot out

I had the rare opportunity to ride three 450 motocross bikes back to back this week. 2002 crf 450, 2004 yzf 450, and 2005 rmz 450.

I got to ride them in the foot hills in my idaho home town and on a small motocross track we built in my parents field. the foothill ride was mostly rocky dry trails with some good hill climbs. the track has a 35 foot table top, whoops, small rythm section, 75 foot saftey triple, and a 50 foot double.

I rode the bikes back to back on the foot hills and babck to back on the track. Here is what I think of each bike:

2002 CRF 450 - I really liked the transmission, smooth shifting, 5 gears, and the ratios covered everything on both the track and trails. Suspension and chassis were excellent. of course I have the same chassis on my 03 cr. the engine took a little getting use to. it had more of a "hit" than the other 450's but really didn't feel any more power full. I would rank this bike of the three the best bike all around.

2005 RMZ 450 - I was imperssed with this bike. this bike had amazing bottom end. The chassis and suspension were also impressive well on par with the Hondas chassis and suspension. I did not care for the transmission on the trail ride. First gear was too tall and the space between 2nd and 3rd was too wide for climbing; plus it was a 4 speed. however on the track I were this bike really won me over. all the transmission complaints disappeared and actually became strengths; the high first gear was more usable on the track and the big space between 2nd and 3rd disappeared as thrird became my favorite gear on the track. I think I liked this Bike better on the track than the CRF.

2004 YZF 450 - This bike was a good bike all around. Its power was just there every where in the power band. the chassis was my least favorite. it was much less flickable and harder to get to change lines. suspension was a little different too. The transmission was better matched for trail riding than the Suzuki but it was still a 4 speed. Good bike but my least favorite of the three.

Am I converted to a 450?..............Nope. I would take my 03 CR 250 over all of them. The 450's had more bottom end, but powerwise I wasn't blown away. My 250 is much more manuvarable (especially in the air and changing lines) and just feels lighter. All of the 450's had there times when they were reluctant to start. my 250 starts sooooo much easier. I liked the bikes and would own any one of them, but I am not fully converted to fourstrokes. :aj:

Last edited:

Top Bottom