I Love My Bike

MY KDX 220 R

Feb 9, 2005
I took my 220 out on her first real ride (definate chances of doing damage to bike and rider - type of ride)
Boy am I impressed with the handling and low down grunt of the stock 220, I am by no means an expert on riding etc, but my green baby hauled my fat 220lb ass around Loratta Lynn's trails at times much faster than I really wanted to be going.
Fork springs - will be a priority, but untill I discover what type of terrain I will be riding the most, will wait to choose which mod's to have.
Many other colors out there with alot more "volume" and "latest technology" under the saddle but not really making such a huge dent in the green presence and performance. You gotta love these machines. :laugh:

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Congratulations on your new ride!

I know exactly what you mean about the other color choices out there. There are definitely quite a few excellent alternatives. I wasn't really strapped for the cash outlay when it came time to purchase this, my very first motorcycle of any type whatsoever, so I agonized quite a long time over the choices... The KDX ended up suiting my needs perfectly because, as a beginner, its low speed handling and nimbleness was a plus, as was its low cost and even lower requirement for mechanical aptitude compared to the latest and greatest 4-strokes. KDX's are SO easy to work on even for someone as inept as me!

Also, and this is much more subjective, but being over 40 I just have it drilled my mind over the years what dirtbikes are suppose to sound like! *laughing* They're supposed to go "RIIIIINNNNGGGGG-ding-ding-ding!" NOT "BRRRRRAAAAAPPP... BRRRRRRAP....BRRRRRRRRAP!" haha!

Feanor

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
No........ here is what they sound like! hehehe

Wow wasn't Lorettas awesome?! Did you try the single track stuff?
I love those rides there! Brutal but awesome.

[MP3]http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/attachment.php?attachmentid=7504.mp3[/MP3]

Attachments

• soundclip 2 stroke motor funny.mp3
    484.1 KB · Views: 339

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
After you get the springs done, buy a big tube of grease and get busy. Read what the people talk about on suspension lube etc. Dont wait until its too late like I did. An dont forget the loctite when you put it back together..... :ohmy: You got a great bike have fun! :laugh:

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004

Dammit braahp I'm freaking laughing myself silly over that one! LOLOLOLOL! Its awesome!!!

You're right, THAT is what a dirtbike is supposed to sound like!!!!!

Thanks for the hysterical laughing fit that it caused :)

Feanor

MY KDX 220 R

Feb 9, 2005
Braahp, enjoyed the entire experience, really enjoyed the single track - glad I had a pair of decent boots - my left foot smacked into a tree, luckily no major damage just had a time of it trying to get my leg back to where it needed to be for the next corner!!!
Kwakasaki - thanks for the advice, I have had the linkeages apart as well as the shafts twice in 60 miles to make sure that things were as they should be. As far as the locktite, I nearly lost my side stand and on the way home stopped off to pick up a little tube of the wonderfull blue stuff.
The MMCC will be riding at Sommerville this Sunday and a few of us will be going to Slayden rd.

Ringggg dingggg dingggg dingggg braaaaahp!!!!!!!!

bigpa

Nov 24, 2003
I didn't know they were making KDXs in China now! :rotfl:

brockboy

Apr 12, 2005
I got my 220R in the fall and have absolutely loved it.I have not riden for 15 years I am 42 now and was a little scared to start again.But now that I am back in the saddle i'm not getting out .I agree with the tube of gease.I took my rear suspension apart this winter to check it out and was surprised to see the lack of grease in there.By all means take her apart and grease her.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…