I need a new helmet - need some input

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
I need to get a new helmet, since I cracked my last one and thought I could ask some of my fellow riders here on their input with their helmets. I am looking at either the Shoei VFX-R or the ARAI windham replica..a close 3rd is the AXO mmzero or vision helmet. I have found a site that I can the shoei and arai at the prices of $339 / $365, maybe still alot, but lots cheaper than usual.
anyhow, Can anyone give me input on their thoughts, ie, how theirs have lasted, durability, quality etc. I am sure they are all great helmets, but a little feedback sometimes can sway the decision, so let me know...!
Thanks,
Chris, ie, on crutches today!!!!!!! ;)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Do a search in this forum, been covered several times.
You can't go wrong with either.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
sorry Okie. I actually tried a search, but I didnt define it down to this particular forum, just general search and nothing came up. I will narrow it down so I can get some of that info... Thanks !!!
Chris :D

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Pulled up the threads, thanks again. Call me stupid but I never really saw the function that narrows the search parameters down , the forums that is... The info is very useful, I will probably go with the shoei....

seerf450

Apr 23, 2002
I ordered both the Shoie and the Arai 2 weeks ago. The Shoie was the Black/Red Tryxtar and the Arai was the Windham white and red. The Shoie was very disappointing the minute I took it out of the box. The graphics sucked. I mean it looks like a bunch of stickers rather than paint. Use of metallic paint on this helmet was minimal, mostly flat black with flat red. I'm sure it is a high quality helmet as far as protection, but for that kind of money it should also look like a high quality helmet. Another thing, the visor is a soft plastic rubber like material with stickers instead of paint. Also, the Shoie is not as comfortable as I was hoping; it is very tight when putting on, almost makes you think you bought the wrong size. Once the helmet is on and the blood starts circulating in your head again, the fit is ok.

Now the Arai, the minute I pulled it out of the box it I was in love. This thing is a work of art. It not only looks like a quality helmet, it feels like one. The paint job is awesome, different shades of metallic red everywhere. The visor is also nicely painted as well. It has much more padding inside than the Shoei. When I put this helmet on, I couldn't believe how much more comfortable it was than the Shoie. It truly is the Cadillac of all helmets. I sent the Shoie back and I'm loving my Arai more and more each day. The venting system on my helmet works really nice too. One last thing, I had three of my friends look at both of the helmets, and they all favored the Arai. They just couldn't believe that the Shoie looked so cheesy. If you do decide to go with a Shoie, I would consider last years Razor model instead of the Tryxtar. Hope this helps.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
The only grip I have with my Arai (and it's a small one). Is the cheap clear plastic visor screws. Replace them as soon as you get the helmet. But you don't have to worry about that ;)

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
yeah, the shoei i was looking at was last years RAZOR model, the ARAI carried over the same model year... MAN you made it difficult for me now, The ARAI is only $26 more than the Shoei.... I dont know what to do now, maybe I will see if there are any more hits on this thread....
I dont understand why hardly any of the pros wear the ARAI, not that it matters to me, but I have heard that it is the best helmet , so you would think that it would be well worn by top competitors...Oh well. I will wait, I hope not too long for the sales and quanities may disappear.
Thanks for all the technical input there Seerf450! :cool:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The Pro's wear what they are paid to wear. They may have a helmet that says "Moto 7" on it, but many are custom made, not what you buy off the shelf.

I've looked at / tried Arai, Shoie and Moto 7. No question, hands down best is the Arai. That's not to say that it will fit everyone better than another helmet, the shape of your head has a lot to do with it. But from a quality standpoint, Arai will be hard to beat.

steve lafon

Aug 30, 2000
Does anone know the weight of the Aria windham ,Its hard to get any info. on this. A few of the other brand are under 3 lbs. as is my AXO that I now wear, This is important to me sence I have a lot of neck problems. I have been considering getting a Aria for some time .

seerf450

Apr 23, 2002
I don't know what weight of my Arai is, but it is very light compared to my Answer M7 helmet. I've read it's one of the lightest helmets made. Most high end helmets are very light and only differ in weight a few grams between each brand.

zcookie49, I would try to see the helmets in person. The Tryxtar looks nice in the mags and on the web, but in person it sux. The Arai looked ok in the mags, catalogs, web, but it rocks in person! Seeing the product first hand can easily make you decide. I thought I wanted the Shoie becuase it looked awesome online, but I also wanted an Arai because I've always heard they were top notch. Order both if you can, but make sure in advanced the you can return the one you don't like; most closeout items are non-refundable. Yeah you'll lose $20 in shipping, but you'll also be happy about wich helmet you have; no regrets :D . Also, don't go out and moto with them, I don't think anyone will take it back if it's dirty, sweaty, and nasty. Everyone is different, and in the end you'll have the helmet that's best for you. Good luck! :aj:

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
I tell you what, I get so much useful info here it is crazy..... the Shoei I was looking at was last years VFX-R, the Razor model, not the trytar, the razor does look better. Thanks for the input because online, the Shoeis are like Glistening shiny, and the Arai white and blue model looks kinda dull. It is $365 with no returns on either model . They state that Arai is no longer selling helmets made after sept 01 thru on line or catalogs....Makes me wonder about availability on parts in future if a visor or something cracks....
I think I will go with the the Winham replica Arai Blue/white, $365 seems to be a pretty good deal for the best if not one of the best helmets out there. That price is final too, no shipping charges apply..... Thanks for all the input, all of the info is useful!!!!

seerf450

Apr 23, 2002
zcookie49, call me and I'll tell you how to get an Arai for that same price and not some 01 model that is snell 95 approved. Mine is a 2002, snell 2000 approved lid. ;)

I sent you a PM with my number.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
so I go on the site to look into the ARAI, turns out you have to visit the store allegedly....Arai make the store have a form filled out... you print this form out that you visited the store on such and such date, met with salesman, tried on the helmet, size and color, then you sign it and fax it back to them. they will then sell you the helmet.. that is the only way you can buy a helmet that was made after 9-01...apparently arai wants all their helmets sold in stores only, this is the loop hole around it...I guess you could be dishonest about it but why bother... I guess I will go with the Shoei Razor blue helmet... Man, I make it sound like I am getting floor scraps....LOL

seerf450

Apr 23, 2002
That's cool, but I didn't go through any of that crap. I just ordered it. Call me and I'll tell you how. If not, enjoy your Shoie, I'm sure you'll be happy. :cool:

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
I sent you a PM so that I can get your phone # so that I can find out about the Arai purchase. I dont have that PM that you sent me and would really like to hear from you if possible, I erased it when I decided on the Shoei, which I cant get :(
Thanks.....!
Chris

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
zcookie, I bought my Shoei VFX-R Pro Circuit froma local dealer for $329 out-the-door. When I bought mine, he offered to sell me another one for the same price. I'll be happy to check it out if you're interested.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Thanks Seerf450! got your PM, sent you back as well.... :D
JP, Thanks for the offer, I was going to look into that but I was able to lock up the Arai I wanted.
Hey JP, I am glad to see you make the swap of your MG, I assume you did since you have the KTM listed as one of your bikes!!!!!!!
You'll have to do a little shootout between your rides and give me a report on how the 250F holds up.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Yeah, Murphy took a day off, and I got rid of the steaming pile of British manure.

I'm taking my first ride on the 380 tomorrow. I'll let ya know what i think. ;)

Top Bottom