I need help installing grips...

YZ125jk

Registered
Mar 14, 2005
I just got some new renthal bars and some grips and renthal glue.I have no clue how to put theese on.People are saying use soapy water but then how do I get the glue in the bar to stick and should I use a knife to take my old grips off and just cut them down the middle.I have half waffles and I dont know witch way to have the waffle side pointing.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Use a knife to remove the old ones, right down the middle.

You need some kind of lube to install new grips. Soapy water, grip glue, spray paint, etc. all act as a lube to get them on.

I use rubber cement to install my grips. The normal stuff you used to glue paper as a kid. It's a good compromise between adhesion and ease of removal when you change them. Some grip glues are impossible to remove when you change grips. Rubber cement is dirt cheap and seems to work pretty well. Safety wire them for more security.

As for the half-waffle, the waffle part should go opposite of your palms when you're on the bike. The waffle part is for your fingertips. so sit on the bike, grab the bars, and figure out where your fingers land and then install the grips.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
If you don't want to cut off the old grips just apply lube (tyre soap is best) to the outside of the grips and then just peel them from the inner end. The instructuions for applying the new grips should be on the Renthal glue tube, but if they are not you just coat the bar with the glue and slide on the new grip with a turning motion to ensure a good spread of glue, stopping when the grip is home and the right way round. Then do not move or use the grip for at least eight hours.

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
In the old days I used to install my grips with soapy water. If I bent my mild steel chrome bars I could just slide a screwdriver in, squirt in some water, twist a few times, then put the grips on the new bars. Bars are harder now and grips are softer, and people seem to think that having one of your grips fly off in the middle of a big double is the worst thing that could happen :ahhh:

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
Speaking of grips... I just bought a set of 1/2 waffle MSR Grips and the Throttle side ripped during install! What ever happened to the best grips ever made??? {QURY}
Haven't found a set to last a month. And I don't crash! :nener:

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
same with certain hairsprays. Spray lots of it on the bar and inside of the grip itself, enough so it's dripping off. It'll slide on super easy and if it's the right kind of hairspray it's not comming off.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
You want the easiest, no-hassle way to install AND remove your grips? Forget about glue, paint, hairspray, soap, knives, and scraping grip remnants from your bars. Forget about waiting 8 hours for adhesive to dry before riding your bike.

Follow these steps:

1) Start with a clean bar end (clutch side) and clean throttle tube. Use brake cleaner to ensure it's really clean. I use an aluminum throttle tube. If you cut the end out of the stock plastic tube for barkbusters, the tube will eventually crack and split. Not something you want on a device that controls rapid acceleration. I also polish the bar end under the throttle tube to make it really smooth. Little white lithium grease between the tube and bar, and it slides around like hot butter.

2) Squirt some Windex inside the grip to coat it, and on the bar end / throttle tube. Slide your new grips on. Align them.

3) Buy some good, thick safety wire and safety wire pliers. Well worth the investment. I do my bike and others multiple times a year. Safety wire the grips, using the grooves in the grips. Twist near the bottom of the grip... there should be a little notched out area to crimp and bend back the sharp end of the cut off wire back into soft rubber grip.

4) Your grips will not move if properly applied this way. I have worn holes in the palm of my gloves, and worn the grip rubber down to the bar, but they have not moved. When it's time to replace the grips, simply snip the safety wire off, slice the old grip length-wise to get it off quickly, and repeat step number 1. No muss, no fuss.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Using safety wire is a great idea.
You can also coat the inside of your new grips with some paint thinner. The grips will slide on easier, and the thinner will quickly evaporate.
As far as tearing new grips, I ripped a new pair of 909's (soft compound) last week...............:)

Top Bottom