I need some help....a nut is stripped(please help)

king_wop

Nov 6, 2002
Alright today i went outside to change the oil in my bike.. i pulled out the socket wrench and i put the wrench on the nut when i went to loosen it..... my arm slipped and it stripped the nut... and not the socket wont go on it properly:( can anyone help or tell me what they would do?

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
I would try a next size smaller socket in the other measuring system (ie. instead of metric, use SAE). If that doesn't work you could try some vice grips.

king_wop

Nov 6, 2002
Thanks guys im gunna go out tommorrow and see ifi cant take it off with either one size smaller socket or vice grips. If that dosent take it off well then ill go out and buy a new socket right now im using the ex 3\8 system so ill go out and get a socket thats calculated in milemitres

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Hopefully a different socket of vice grips will work. If not, then you may have to use a bolt extractor. You can pick them up at most hardware stores. Atleast you'll have a pretty good chunk of metal to work with if you need an extractor.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by king_wop
now im using the ex 3\8 system so ill go out and get a socket thats calculated in milemitres

Are you saying that you didn't use a metric socket on it in the first place? :confused:

If not first try a six point socket of the correct metric size.

ktmmudd

Sep 5, 2001
Go to Sears and get a set of their bolt removers. They look like sockets, but are fluted inside to grip the rounded off bolts. They work great.

wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
ditto on that Sears tool. I used to file the bolt heads until I could get a different size socket on. But I saw that Sears tool in use and it's awesome. Gonna buy a set.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
If you can find one, get a "Gator Grip" socket. It has a bunch of needle bearings in the socket and slips over the bolt / nut and adjusts automatically to the best fit. I wish I had one of my own, the only time I've ever used one it worked great but it wasn't mine.

king_wop

Nov 6, 2002
I got it off..... i tightend the vice grips realy tight and it just got off pretty well... thanks for al of ur imputs i use them for future sue!:P

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Vise grips will get you out of a jam but will chew up the bolt even more. Your bike is all metric so you should invest in a metric set.

On higher quality bolts, if they have 3 dashes on the head they are SAE grade 5. 5 dashes is grade 8.

Metrics will have numbers on them, sometimes decimal. Not always the case though, just check for a sloppy fit.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
A little tip. Before trying to remove your drain bolt, take a medium sized hammer and give the drain plug a rap dead center on the head of the bolt. Not enough to break your cases, but a good solid smack. This will make the plug easier to remove.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
you may want to go buy a new drain plug, you can get a magnetic one for about 13 bux i think out of dennis kirk...

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
"I got it off..... i tightend the vice grips realy tight and it just got off pretty well... thanks for al of ur imputs i use them for future sue!:P"

don't mean to be a ***** but try using propper english/better spelling(i.e. "ur", "imputs", "i use them for future sue"). Iit makes your post much easier to read. :)

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…