GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Before you say "Thanks for the Warning!!" I'm heading to the Dallas Fort Worth Area next month to visit a friend of mine who just moved there from out of state.

She's not too familiar with the DFW area, so I could use some advice for places to go and things to do while in the Great State of Texas! Thanks!!
:confused:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Visit Colorado ;)

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
This time of year seek out anyplace that's air conditioned. Never did a lot in DFW besides the Texas State Fair and Texas - OU weekend.

South on 35 there's the state capital in Austin. While there you can go out to Lake Travis and have lunch at the Oasis. You can also, once again, go up in the tower at the University. At night you can hit the various bars and clubs down on 6th street.

Heading towards San Antonio you can stop off at New Braunsfels and do some tubing on the river or visit the Schlitterbahn water park. Once in San Antonio you can visit the Alamo. A really unique place to stay is the Davey Crockett Hotel, which is supposedly haunted with ghosts from the Alamo. There's some great restaurants and bars down on the Riverwalk and you can hop on a tour boat.

Further south from San Antonio on 37 is Corpus Christi, which is on the Gulf of Mexico. It's also the northern tip of South Padre Island. The water here is clearer than in Galveston and is usually around 85 degrees in the summer.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I don't know how much driving you want to do, but keep in mind it's a big state! East Texas and the Hill Country offer some of the better landscapes. You might check out State Parks. Corpus Christy for the ocean. Big Bend.

Some local (DFW) attractions:
Deep Ellum (nightlife)
Farmers Market
West End
JFK Museums
Ft. Worth Stockyards
Six Flags & water parks
Plenty of lakes for water sports
MX racing (we have quite a few tracks that are convenient)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
OK, I've spent a little time in the DFW area....
If you want to experience the most wonderful feeling your tounge and tummy can muster, be sure to head up towards Denton and find the Traildust Steak house (I think thats the name of it) One in FW too I think.
These are the absolute best steaks a man can put in his gullet, hands down!
They offer live bands and dancing whilst you eat (you'll be way too busy stuffing to dance)
Two words of advise if you plan to experience the best steaks on the planet....1) DO NOT under any circumstances wear a tie into the place, it will be chopped off at the shank forth wit...and hung on the wall as a trophey (many unsuspecting victoms can be viewd there.)
2) Under NO circumstances ask for catsup or any other condement besides salt and pepper....I won't tell you about what happens then, just DON'T do it! :)
Oh...and btw....when viewing the menu, pass over the steaks with names like "The Cowboy" or "The Stud" there is no way a mortal human can consume that much beef....order the "Cowgirl" and be happy that you prolly can't finish it all!

I want to add....if you plan on making any trips to any saloons (aka private clubs) in Richardson and a guy askes you if you want to play a little 3-ball for money....Run, and run fast! :)

Last edited:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Traildust website & menu:
http://www.traildust.com/DinnerMenu.html
I think the 'rifleman' is my personal favorite.
Ruth's Chris also has great steaks and I think has 2 locations.
I believe Dave & Busters is still open (pool tables, food, bar, tons of video games etc) the place is "biggern Dallas" as they say. Lots of fun.
Reunion Tower is kinda neat to go up in (the big ball looking thing with lights) above Reunion Arena. As mentioned the JFK museum is worth it if. I think it was remodeled a few years back. http://www.guidelive.com/profile/101093
If you like strange architecture the courthouse in Waxahachie (south of Dallas) is a trip. http://www.geocities.com/vickiconnors/pix/courthouse.jpg
You have to see it up close.. gargoyles and lots of strange looking things :)
Malibu Speedzone (and next door zero gravity)
http://www.guidelive.com/profile/104007/
http://www.guidelive.com/profile/103321
are also a lot of fun. We had to tear AJ away from the big rubber band thingy that blasts you up in the sky.
And here is a link to a bunch of varied stuff in the area:
http://www.guidelive.com/feature/6/?cslink=cs_attractions_11_0

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Originally posted by txbigguy
Hey I always get the steak named "The Stud" there.

That's nothing, I always get "The Bull Shipper" ;) :eek:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by KTMKyd
It's funny, the people who visit DFW do more and have more fun than the people who live here :think:

Isn't that the truth!

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Just remember to say "Howdy" to everyone. "Howdy" and "y'all", & throw in a "fiddin ta" now & then and you'll be fine. You can even "yeehaw" if you feel moved. They like it when Californians talk country.

Beware driving on the.... what's it called? They have a fun name for the asinine freeway. You'll freak out. I did. It's nothing like driving in SF. You'll swear you're going to die.

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Dallas is not really in Texas... It has become a melting pot of Yankees and foreigners, not that there is anything worng with that. ;)
If you really want to experience Texas you need to drive out of the DFW area. Otherwise you will think that all Texans are like the people in the metro area and it just ain't true!

Also start including words like spilt, reckon, yall (one syllable) and tumpt in you vocabulary. :aj: :)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
zio offered up this sage advice:
Just remember to say "Howdy" to everyone. "Howdy" and "y'all"
And if you don't get beat up right away, be sure to tell everyone to "Havagoodun!"

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Originally posted by zio
Beware driving on the.... what's it called? They have a fun name for the asinine freeway. You'll freak out.

All the highways are pretty much that way. 635 is probably the worst. The roads are filled with Kamikazi Commuters. The best way to deal with it is to drive a big truck and go faster than the rest of the morons. :)

There is a culture difference between Ft. Worth and Dallas. Ft. Worth is more laid back and countryfied.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
One of the most confusing roadways I've seen. Check out the overhead... this shot doesn't even do it justice.

Attachments

• mixm.jpg
    mixm.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 102

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
that's purty durn good Twinspar. Did you take that from the Shaday Grove finish table top :)

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
You can come by Shady Grove Sundays for fine Yard Bird and Smack talk at its best.
Billy Bobs
Dave and Busters (which is what Billy and I were going to name out establishment)
6flags
SPEEDZONE!!!
Champs

B

biglou

I gotta say, the free bird and dogs at Shiny Groove is well worth the trip. :cool: Love that spicy rub. Of course, you can't have any issues with eating out of a rusty 55 gallon drum! Trust me, it's really good!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by BunduBasher
Visit Colorado ;)
I agree :p ! Espesially in August!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom