I need the low down here!!! Real world experience

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
DRZ400E vs. KTM 400/45EXC......Is there any comparison between these two bikes. I still here the KTM calling my name.

BIO: "X" racer who loves to play ride on tight trails and knarly hills. I also get off on some open terrain that allows me to just fly, but my back won't let me do much jumping at all. I am also doing some dual sport riding, which consists of taking a country road to some trails or to look for some trails. I don't intend to race this bike unless I get in an enduro, which I have never done before. I might participate in a dual sport event or two. HEIGHT 5'8", weight 155 lbs, "B" class harescrambler when I race.

I just sold a 200exc, which I loved, and was disappointed in the 2002 DRZ400E when I first got it, but I am getting used to it now. I sold the 200 because a perminant injury was slowing me down and I didn't think I would ride aggressively again. A few short months later and I am finding myself on the pipe again and having a blast. I am getting used to the DRZ and learning how to make it work but I am seriously contemplating buying a 400/450EXC to replace it. We all know how hard it is to sell a 2 month old bike and get what you need out of it, so I am thinking about buying a KTM and having both bikes until I can sell one (probably next spring). I am sure I can swing it if I am creative but I don't have unlimited funds, so I don't want to buy a KTM only to find out that it isn't what I need.

I need some real world comparisons between these two bikes for the kind of riding that I described. I didn't buy the KTM initially because it is more or a race bike and I didn't think it would suit me as well for play riding and dual sporting. As I said before though, I have turned things up a notch or two and am riding harder than I thought I would, but no racing.

The DRZ has plenty of power once you learn how to use it, but it has a bog off of idle at times, jetting. The suspension is a little soft at times when I ride aggressively, but it soaks all of the trail junk up great until you start to push it. It feels a little heavy but I am getting used to it. It is taller than the KTM and I am vertically challenged, not good.

Is the KTM 400/450 really that much better of a trail bike and will it work alright for some light dual sporting (comfort?). I would love to here from people that have owned both, but welcome any input before I make another rash decision.

Thanks,
Neal

:worship:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
HI MB - Just ol Woodsy always with an answer.... I am not sure about the KTM's but I was wondering if you had givin the new WR450's any thought? I only mention this out of economic reasoning.. Our local Yamaha dealer is infamous for taking in Jap bikes on trade and giving book value for them. Our local Katoom dealer will only take Katooms in and he really shy's away from the NADA on trade in!! Maybe a way around the whole issue!!
2 pennies
Woodsy

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
I recently rode a 400 exc, and it was pretty good. I liked how light it felt but it was too slim and small feeling for me. But then again I"m 240lbs...:)

The EXC I rode had a big gun, but my DRZ still had a bit more power on tap. I also have a few mods done to it, but not much more than a pipe and jetting/new needle.

As far as you're bog goes, there is a way to get rid of that. First you have to pull that airbox lid off if you already haven't, and do something about the choked up exhaust (either mod or new one is better).

Once you have done that jet it to a 160 main/ 48 pilot jet and get a EKP or EMM needle. The needles aren't neccessarry but they add top and mid power.

And after all that if you still have an off idle bog there is a thing called the "Taffy MOd" or similar to the "BK mod". They both restrict the accelerator pump a bit, as the stock duration is wayyyy too much and causes a rich condition.

I made a pretty good explanation of how to do it on my page (in the sig) under "Whats New" category.

Good luck, but I personally couldn't justify spending close to 7 grand for the KTM as I have only spent short change for the suspension/power mods done to my bike. And with all the money spent it still doesn't equal the price of a KTM!!! :yeehaw:

tigerowner

Mar 3, 2002
The ride on the KTMs are much stiffer than on the DRZ. This may come in to play on the trails. If your back needs plush stick with the DRZ and modify it to suit your power needs. I rode a 520 EXE and a DRZ and I like the suspension on the DRZ for trail work. Faster desert rides may favor the KTM more. The new KTMs may have better suspension then the old. I think the DRZ is a fine machine and would think twice before selling it.

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
G'day Neal,
Another DRZ owner here, de-restricted, aftermarket exhaust, suspension valved by Pro-Action, Eibach springs.
Going from a '96 RM to the DRZ was quite a change for me, took a little while to adapt, never really disliked it, just seemed different to what I was used to.
I like to ride with a bit of variety, slow, "below the radar" mx included, so the stock susp. seemed kind of ummm, not up to it, hence the valving etc.
Now, I'm very happy with the bike.
I get about as comfortable a ride to work as can be expected from a D/S,
I can "play" on it, ride single track as fast as this brain will let me go and I can still keep up with the mates on their MX'ers when we moto ( yes, they're slow too! )
As for the Katoom, I've never had the opportunity to ride one, which is what I think you should try to arrange, a ride on one. Might be difficult but it seems the best way to go.
Being an experienced rider I dont think you'd need to ride it long to decide.
Hope it works out OK for you, either way.

Top Bottom