cyron

Oct 22, 2003
I'm new(again) to dirt riding...
I have a little XR50 and I used to have a YZ80 when I was 12.
I've been riding/racing streetbikes for a few years. I've gotten a bad taste for riding on the street, but I'd like to be able to still ride on the weekends. I have a blast in the evenings running the XR through the yard, but all 220lbs of me are going to destroy the bike. Instead of spending $1200 on suspension for the XR I figured I'd buy an MX bike, but I only have about $2k to spend. I found a '96 CR250 in ok condition for $1600. I was for a long time thinking of getting a 125 2smoke, but I get told either the 250 is too much bike or I'm too big for a 125. I'm a lazy ******* and I don't want to have to rebuild a bike's engine every time I take the bike out for a weekend at a MX park. I've heard that I won't have to rebuild a 250 as much as a 125.
I'm sure the right answer is a RM-Z250, but that's not in my budget.
I don't know anyone who's into dirt riding, so I can't really get thier opinion. I don't know what to think of the other people's opinion since they're most street riders or road racers...
I probably should just go test ride it and see what I think, but I figured I'd get some Dirt Rider Forum opinions too.
Cy.

Grissom29

N. Texas SP
Jan 3, 2004
You are in a similiar situation as me. I'm 5'8", 200lbs. 250 is probably too much, 125 a bit small (depending on who you ask). So I got a 200. You could look at either the Kawasaki KDX200 (or KDX220) or something like a KTM 200 EXC or MXC.

I recently purchased a '98 KTM 200 MXC for about what you have to spend. You should be able to locate something decent. Just be sure to get a repair manual for whatever you buy.

Jason

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
the 96 cr250 is a great bike, especially for 1800. if not i suggest a kdx ( what a surprise) :laugh:

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
dude, don't sweat it, you can go a year on a 250 top end

kx134

May 4, 2004
if you take care of your bike you won't need to throw a top end in every weekend lol.

I plan on doing mine at the end of the summer.

I have a buddy who weighs quite a bit and he rips on his cr125-if you rode an 80 you can ride the 125 as you need to rev it up quite a bit. the 250 '96 sounds solid. Look at the four strokes if you don't want to have to keep it on the pipe all day long. Comes down to personal preference-

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
If you're an experienced rider and want a HOOT of an off road bike for little $$$ outlay... take a hard look at a KX500. They're very reasonably priced as many folks don't have the moxy to try one. The power is great from low end on up and the big bores don't wear out top ends like the smaller 2 strokes.

I bought my KX5 after a 20 year hiatus from riding. It's one heckuva trail bike. I'm glad to be able to say that I've done a big bore 2 stroke. One day, they'll be all gone!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
The term "moxy" refers to a failed soft drink from the 1930's, it tasted like crap. :ohmy: If you rode a KX500 at your local track, it might leave a bad taste in your mouth too! Go for the 250 Cyron. Going from an XR50 in the front yard to a KX500 at the local track is a big jump. Imagine trying to ride Rossi's bike to the mall.........Riding is not about "moxy", it's about fun, get a 250 and go have some!!! :laugh:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
gwcrim said:
Mr YZ165, have you ever ridden a 500?

I have and I can honestly say it is FUN!

Yes I have, many times. Fun yes, Practical, NO. :yikes:

Top Bottom