I rebuilt my top end & resleeved my cylinder and my ENGINE WON'T START!! Need Help!

joelyles2004

Mar 5, 2004
I need help. I replaced the sleeve with a steel one. I replaced the stock cast piston with a wiseco. I cleaned the powervalves and drained & flushed my coolant. I took my time and put every thing back together. The bike had been apart for I month. I left the cover off the ignition side. I thought maybe some moisture may have gotten in the magneto & rusted it. Whats a simple way to test a spark? I Unthreaded my new spark plug & connected it to the wire. I then kicked it over & no spark on the plug was present. Last Question: I lubed my rod bearing and crank very well & forgot to remove the oil upon reassembly. Could this be the problem?????

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
I would definately look at the wire connectors in the ignition harness especially on the plug coil. Make sure there connected and not corroded. Take a multimeter and check the resistance on the wires and the coils. I would say no to the oil question.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
joelyles2004 said:
Whats a simple way to test a spark? I Unthreaded my new spark plug & connected it to the wire. I then kicked it over & no spark on the plug was present.???
Just leaving the plug connected to the wire won't do it, the plug has to be grounded to complete the circut. Hold the nut or thread of the plug against the cylinder by the insulated wire (or you'll get bit) and push the kick lever down to test for spark.

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
Yep, the plug has to be grounded on the frame, jug or head.

Dirtbrat#34

Apr 22, 2004
If you have spark first thing i would do is go and replace the reeds!!they are almost always forgoten when some one replaces a top end. that should fix it!!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
joelyles2004 said:
I Unthreaded my new spark plug & connected it to the wire. I then kicked it over & no spark on the plug was present.
First thing I'd do is buy/try a new plug (or use the old one that you know is okay). Sometimes (not often) a spark plug is dodgy straight out the box.

Top Bottom