Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Well I just finished getting back from the Adelanto GP and all I can say is I’m one tired puppy. Even KTMBoy came out to root this old guy on with the new 4-smoke. Thank KTMBoy it was great to have a group rooting me on while I stalled and ate mud all morning. The first race was the unclassified race and all I can say is that was a stupid race to learn how to ride the new four stroke for the first time. Talk about being a complete spode, I flooded the bike on the starting line because I was still stuck in 2-stroke mode when it came to starting the bike. It’s amazing how adrenaline can make you forget simple things when you’re sitting on the starting line. To make matters worse I stalled the darn thing in the first turn. Talk about being a spectacle in front of a huge crowd.
Anyways, the course was tough to say the least. Mud, mud and more mud. The first race is always the worse after receiving that much rain. Of course I didn’t want to come back to the Grand Stand section too clean so I decided to roll in the mud out on the course a little. Between stalling the new bike several times and rolling in the mud as well, I’m still glad that I had the opportunity to get some practice before the Over 40 race.
The second race was a completely different outcome. This boy actually got the bike started on the line and didn’t stall it in the first turn. I was starting to have second thoughts about the four stroke in the first race but by the second race I was actually getting the hang of the power band not to mention the difference in handling and was really having a blast. Of course life wouldn’t be complete without taking at least one mud fall so I decided to do that on the second lap. The mud wasn’t 1/10 as bad as the first race and the traction was unbelievable but for some reason the arms just like to aim toward the deepest mud sections what can I say. The only drawback to the second race was the endless whoops out in the desert portion of the course. They aren’t bad until you’re on lap 4 and sucking wind. The biggest thing I learned was that the new 450 is light years ahead of the 2000 Kawi when it comes to suspension. Things that would make you pucker on the green bike were so much easier on the new ride. That isn’t saying that I didn’t have any handlebar stands while in the whoops but without a doubt I’m thinking I’m going to like the new ride. This was a tough way to learn how to handle the new ride but I really think the crash course in the different type of riding style did me a world of good. Now if I can only learn how to get a decent start I’m might be able to put all this together into a complete package.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
"I think I like red." You and 2/3rds of the guys in your class! It was tough to spot you out there among the other 200 CRFs! I gotta say though, you did look pretty good on the red machine. Congrats on finishing a tough race on an un-familiar machine!

P.S. It was refreshing to see the red and orange machines far outnumbering those ugly blue bikes. And I did happen to see a couple of those green ones. In fact one of those green ones had the hardest crash all day of the 50 some odd riders that bailed right in front of us. I think he was seeing light-bulb flashes when he first got up! :)

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Man that was a tough outting. The old body felt it the following day. KTMBoy that was definately a place for spills. I couldnt believe you guys were brave enough to sit near the track as often as they were going down. The womens, over 60's and the 80s race on Sunday brought just as much mahem. Its bad enough to see teenagers and the older adults go down in a tough area but I hate seeing the girls, women and young kids take a spill.
All in all you could not ask for better weather. It was a great weekend of racing and having fun. Now its time to get the bike ready for Glen Helen. :yeehaw:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Way to go Rich. :cool:

The more you ride that bike, the more your gonna like it. :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

nowazzu

Apr 24, 2004
Noob chiming in....

I just had to chime in here. I too raced in that "thing" (over 30 beginner) on one of those "ugly blue bikes" and all I can say is thank God it's over. I have never ridden so hard and fast in my life. The mud was unbelievable. After a good start, and a clean first turn, a guy next to me hit a kicker and spun sideways on the first straightaway. His back tire hit my boot and all I saw was him hit the dirt. I hope he was ok. Not 10 seconds later we were faced with the first of many mud pits. I managed to stay aboard, but I probably took out 2 guys who were fighting it all the way (sorry guys.) After that, I learned the mud technique pretty quickly. After the first lap, I was looking for the white flag, but that lady refused to bring it out for 3 more laps!!

My only real spill of the day was the lamest, dumbest thing I have ever done! In one of the left handed turns coming into the infield, I just stalled it (high in the turn) and couldn't get a foot down in time to stop the avalanche! I must have looked pretty dumb driving the YZ into the turn and just laying it down. :bang: :bang:

I did manage to park a guy into a turn out in the desert section, but he needed to be passed. Not malicious, but a little rubbing is good for racing, right? :nener:

I hope everyone was ok out there. I did see one guy being taken out by the paramedics, but I never heard what happened.

I am really looking forward to next year. :laugh:

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Way to go nowazzu. Theres no doubt last year was a cake walk compared to this year. If memory serves me right the Over 30 was on Sat at around 11am and there was a lot of downed riders in your race. We saw a lot of your group take some nasty spills in the motorcross section where we were sitting.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
The guy on the Kawi that ate it real bad in front of us was running pretty high up in the Expert class before he went down.

nowazzu

Apr 24, 2004
Thanks Boodac,

One thing that surprised me was the start. Do they always send off 9 rows at a time? I couldn't believe it when after the Novice group went off, they said "OK, everyone else on the next flag." I looked at my buddy and said "What the F***?" :pissed: I am glad I managed a one-kick start.

One more thing: The people out there lining the track were awesome! There was one mud section where the best line was to the extreme left, the guys there moved the stakes back a foot or two to give the riders a bit more room. And, when I did take a spill, all I could hear was "Go Man!, Get up!” When I kicked it over and started off again, the 30 or 40 people in that section were clapping and yelling for me. It definitely made me feel great. Especially since my spill was a dumb mistake. Nobody was laughing or pointing at the "Idiot" who just dumped his bike.

Last edited:

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Actually we were the ones that moved the stakes back a bit. There was a huge lake of water on the right and riders opting the right side were getting in the soft muddy stuff and going down in droves. The spectators on the track I thought were great. A lot of spectators were good enough to signal which direction to take when coming out of a corner or over a jump in order to miss the muddy messes and avoid downed riders. Regardless how good the spectators were though, dont be fooled, they were there to see the crashes and the mayhem.

nowazzu

Apr 24, 2004
Well, then that was me that gave someone the thumbs up as they moved the stakes (literally as I am riding a foot from them....) Great work! One of the flag guys was pointing to the good lines too. Gotta like that.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Well there was a rider that gave the finger but it wasnt the thumb. We didnt understand why but just decided that they must have know KTMBoy. :laugh:

Top Bottom