Ideal woods bike?

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
Here is what I think I would like to have in a bike. Which bike to you think fits the bill best.

Light
Turns well and stable handling
real strong from 1-3 gear - anything in 4th or higher is secondary as far as performance
soft/medium suspension for the woods
easy starting

I currently have a ktm 400 mxc - my issues with it aren't many - but would like it lighter and turn better and more grunt first to third - willing to sacrifice the top end. Suspension is good for me and the e-button is great.

What bike am I describing or what changes should I make to my bike?

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
I'd say switch to a 300 MXC/EXC...or maybe a 525. The modern racing 4-strokes don't have much off idle due to their 'cammed out' nature. The EXC's are also better due to their wide ratio trans....

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
You are describing a 2003+ 200 e/xc with a quality suspension revalve and a steering damper. Or perhaps a CRF250X. Or any 250cc two stroke MX bike that has had an enduro conversion.

L

LukeRips

I race a 2004 and 2002 KX250 converted to woods. I run a Pro-Action revalve, Steahly 9oz. flywheel, FMF SST and 51 tooth rear sprocket. I recently decided to go with a KTM 200E/XC just to have a slightly different weapon for tighter races. I wouldn't want to get rid of either one as they have specific duties but the KX's are definitely the fastest GNCC weapons.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I'd say either a KTM200EXC, KTM300EXC, GasGas EC200 or GasGas EC300. I think any of these bikes would fit the bill perfectly.

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
I think You should look at a KDX220 it fits your discription perfectly. Plus it is a little more friendly on the pocket book.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…