idiots riding in the city

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Ok. When I was a kid, my friends and I did our share of illegal riding. But, we would usually sneak the bikes to the nearest trails, and we could usually stay out of trouble that way. Once in a great while, an officer would see us on the way to or from the riding spots, and tell us to "get off and walk it home" and we would. Never did we ride in the street and act like complete idiots. We had 3 spots within reasonable distances from our houses so I guess we were lucky.

I live in Baltimore, Maryland (County, that is). I was watching a news broadcast the other night, and it showed a group of about a dozen or so kids on dirt bikes doing wheelies down the city streets, and in and out of traffic. The film was shot from a helicopter. At one point, they came up behind a police car and rode there for quite a while. The officer did nothing. The cheif of police was then shown on camera saying that the officer acted properly, because a chase is what these kids wanted, and every time they chase one, it ends in tragedy. There was, a few years back, an incident where 2 riders died in such a chase.

Ok. I understand the need to protect public safety. I know why the police dont want to chase these idiots. These turkeys would wind up causing accidents, and hurting innocent people. I know that Baltimore has a policy banning high speed chases in the city.

But, my god. Im starting to think that instead of loading up my van, driving an hour and a half and paying $30 to ride my dirt bike, I will simply roll it across the city line and have a ball! I could probably get some good riding in at Patterson park, or perhaps one of the city golf courses!

It just makes me sick. I guess if I was gonna rob a bank, Id use a dirt bike, since they wouldnt chase me eh?

Also, as I understand it, Baltimore has OUTLAWED dirt bikes.(IN the City) as well as mopeds and 50cc scooters. I am not clear on the dirt bike law. I suppose, at the least, it makes riding them in the city illegal. Just like gun laws, it doesnt matter. Criminals and idiots dont care about the law. Simple as that. Banning them didnt help as Ive seen on the news now.

THe cheif of police suggested that if anybody knows where people are storing dirt bikes, to call 911.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
Originally posted by 2stroke
Im starting to think that instead of loading up my van, driving an hour and a half and paying $30 to ride my dirt bike, I will simply roll it across the city line and have a ball! I could probably get some good riding in at Patterson park, or perhaps one of the city golf courses!

It just makes me sick. I guess if I was gonna rob a bank, Id use a dirt bike, since they wouldnt chase me eh?

DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS!! :moon: :uh: :flame:

Seriously though, that's pretty sick. Not only that, but it gives ALL of us a bad image. I think a lot of people would be surprised at how many dirtbikers are actually responsible just because of a few who screw it up for all the rest of us. :|

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Man..I live here too, and they are riding mopeds and scooters more so now.. but AT least 1-2 times a week a see an banged up dirt bike, new or old, riding by me in a wheelie or such. I've been thinking of going to the city yard to buys some street roached dirt bikes there but the auctions have been pretty irratic. At one point the rumor was that they were going to ship out all the dirt bikes in a container to 3rd world countries: they didnt want to sell them at auction because they could wind up back in the yard again (confiscated)...anyhow.. it sucks, but what can you do? I cant see where anyone that would ride their bikes on the city streets with no helmets:would even be on this board. Dirtbikers? yeah right, some of these guys I have seen are braking numerous laws from corner to corner. But I guess some would think these guys are dirt bikers and give us all a bad name

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
mainly yz, cr, kx, rm... alot are 80's because drug dealers like to scoot around on them, easy to conceal, take into rowhomes, etc, but mostly all motocross bikes, ( with bald back tires)!!!

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
yeah i used the term "Riders" loosely. All stolen bikes ya know. THey ride them until they sieze and dump them. My father in law works for the city police dept, and he took my oldest son on a tour of HQ, and I heard all about the basement, where there was a HUGE pen of locked up confiscated bikes....Sad really. I think Ill start a MX bike rescue service for abused and battered bikes.

Also, a guy I know works construction for the city, and he found an abandoned house with several bikes in it. He dragged 2 of them out and threw them in his truck. 2 wrongs dont make a right, but hows this for sick justice-the best one, which was an '82 YZ 125 got stolen out of HIS yard about 3 weeks later! HE still has an early 90s model xr100 which is pretty much tanked. I keep wrestling with myself to offer him $50 for it, but I just cant bring myself to do it, because I know somewhere, some kid cried his eyes out over that one.

That, and with MY luck, Id go to jail or something.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom