kdxmann

Dec 21, 2002
i have an01 kawasaki kdx200 and just removed the airbox lid and it started idleing faster then it did with it on so i turned it down. a day later i went riding and once the bike warm up it didnt idle smoothly and kept on stalling .how should i go aboust adjusting the idle. if i turn it up when its not warmed up it acts like im giving it gas and i can just let the clutch out without givin it gas. please help

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Is your air filter clean? How does the bike respond with the choke pulled on? If the idel gets smoother or makes no difference with the choke on (warm bike) the mixture is too rich.

Adjust your idle (and air screw for that matter) with the bike fully warmed up. By fully warmed up I mean ride it hard for 10 minutes or so. There is a difference between warm enough to ride (just off choke) and a bike that has done 5 or more laps.

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
check magneto side of engine kdx has a notoriously thin area between web's that support crank bearing,it will almost appear as if the crank seal is bad oil will be oozing out slightly around o.d. of bearing web. If this is the case the problem is easily fixed with epoxie putty.make sure surfaces are squeeky clean and free of ANY oil residue.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Just 'cuz 'we've been here before'...take note that the idle screw is plastic/black and the air screw is brass AND brass colored, too!

procircuit21

Nov 19, 2002
from what I have heard, if you pull the choke on and the bike smoothes out, then you would be running lean not rich, because the choke circuit richens the mixture for starting

kdxmann

Dec 21, 2002
so it doesnt really matter what the bike does when its cold? well i will try that tommorrow and see wat happens thanx

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Thanks for the opps, canyncarvr.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: it really doesn't matter?

Well, within reason of course.

If the problem is, 'My bike runs 'fer crap when it's cold. It 4-strokes and doesn't have any power until I wring it out for ten minutes or so and get it good and hot. Then it runs great for the rest of the day!'

Well.....you don't have much of a problem. A properly tuned bike isn't going to have much if any 4-stroking even on a choke cold start! You're more likely to have a lean bog problem when it's cold...but that only lasts for a couple of minutes, until you reach operating temp.

Strictly speaking I wouldn't say, 'It doesn't matter.' Responses from a cold-choke start give you a clue as to what needs to be done tune-wise.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom