If you needed a new kickstart lever where'd ya go?

Bultaod

Aug 24, 2002
'97 KDX 220r has a worn out kickstart lever. None of the aftermarket places I checked have one listed. Do I need to go to my dealer for a shakedown?

Thanks

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
F.Y.I....The kicker from Fredette is alot cheaper, and I think cooler than the KX one. The FRP one is $59 as opposed the $90 plus. FRP's is cast then machined in spots, Factory one is cast only. Both are aluminum. Good luck. :yeehaw:

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
There was a post ages ago that that said the Fredette unit was (maybe still is?) cast from soft aluminium that would eventually bend. The KX unit does not seem to have this problem and costs $76.50 + shipping from Midwest Action Cycles.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
be for warned! the FRP unit will not fit with the FMF rev pipe! @ least on my 99 220. will fit with pro something pipe. the other brand :>) also if you have the floppy kick start you will also have to replace with swivel & o ring.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Originally posted by 70 marlin
be for warned! the FRP unit will not fit with the FMF rev pipe! @ least on my 99 220. will fit with pro something pipe. the other brand :>)

Marlin;

That would be the PRO CIRCUIT ;) lol, just funnin ya
Fits the bike better too.. :thumb:
Lew

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
...and the doc says:

..the first kickers we made i tested for 3/4 th of a year and had no
problems with them i went into production and some would hold up great and
others would brake after a couple of kicks had one were he broke one right
off sent a new one broke it took mine and sent it broke it. so i stopped and
redesigned them and went with a better grade of aluminum and the price went
from $49.95-$59.95. and have no problems ever since. thanks for the Q, jeff

I just ordered one from him last week. Had heard of some problems in earlier units...so I asked.

Oh..ordered a new knuckle, too!

Cool to get an answer to a question, same day! I appreciate that! Thanks, doc!!

Razorback

Jul 12, 2002
Where I live there are about three good cycle salvage yards.If they don't have one exactly for the KDX I'm sure something will fit pretty good.Just take what's left of yours and match something up.Some of the salvage yards will also do a web search.I lost my kickstand once and I found one for 20 bucks.

MLEACH

Mar 30, 2002
I have a 2000 KDX 200 and I have had a FRP kick start for over a year. NO problems and it fits great with my FMF rev pipe. It took a short while to get used to the different bend.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Kicker update.

Got my FRP unit. Put on a brandy new kawi knuckle. Wow...tight fit for sure.

The fit is less good than I'd like.

The flats on the lever and the knuckle don't 'mate' to any extent. That doesn't seem like it would be too good a wear issue.

The lever mounts in two possible spline positions. The rearward one leaves the lever hitting the frame some..the forward one doesn't allow you to rotate the lever in/out without rotation of the splined shaft. The lever hits the clutch cover.

The worst part is with the kicker fully down, it's not the footpeg that stops it...it's stopped when the base of the lever hits the engine!! Not good!!

It will take some grinding/filing in several areas to make it fit without banging on something.

Oh...and it hits the trans filler cap pretty good too.

Good luck getting it to fit with o-rings. Clearance is about zip.point. My riding buddy B-I-L fixed mine up...but only by putting the knuckle on a lathe and sanding down the o-rings. Very s-n-u-g. That's ok with me!

Yes. I did ask FRP about some of these fitment issues (the ill-mating flats). Didn't hear back from them. Found the other issues later.

It's not a BAD piece...but it takes some tweaking to get it to fit. I don't think that should be necessary. :(

Last edited:

Kawadougie

~SPONSOR~
May 7, 2002
I have the same kickstarter on my '02 KDX200 and it bolted right on with none of the issues you mention. I just checked mine and it doesn't touch anything in the upright position and it stops on the footpeg just below the top of the lever. No grinding or other work was necessary. I simply bolted it on. I am running an FMF Gnarly pipe.

Bultaod

Aug 24, 2002
Well, The kickstarter fit ok. Touches my Gnarly a bit but not enough to worry about but I made another problem for myself-see new thread.

"Kickstarter screwed up"

Top Bottom