ign. timing

RMgrind

Jun 27, 2004
Im working on debugging a recently aquired 83 RM 250. some times when i try to start it it kind of backfire\farts. it starts right right up most of the time , one or two kicks. it runs well but it dose not have the power that i think it should have, weak bottom, fair mid that tappers off fairly fast. The compression is good at 210 psi. Im working on jetting, runs a bit rich but im gaining on it.
my ? is this , could the back fire be happening because the timing has slipped and is now retaded and could it cause the lack luster performance.
BTW im running an 82 head and cyclinder. This is not a power valve motor.

Id love to hear your ideas :clue:

thanks Bill

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
There should be a couple of marks to line it up with on the plate & they should be quite sufficient. It’s not uncommon for these era bikes that the coils die, but it would not likely start & run for long if that was the case.

First things first. Replace the plug & the plug cap. Make sure the muffler hasn’t collapsed or is so gunged up. An air leak is also high on the likelihood scale. The compression tester won’t find this as it would be main seals or reedblock.

Further the needle jet (what the needle pokes through) check that it is not ovalised. Look real careful with a decent light. If it is it will run rich & you wo’t ever get it tuned.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…