ignition probs

gimoov

Jul 25, 2004
:ride: got a problem with my kdx200 91', after full on i spat a circlip holding the kips actuator arm losing power band, thats not a problem, but while riding it home i just died and wouldn't go at all. i had spark, compression. after getting it home pulled it down to find reeds, piston, power valves, spark, carb all ok and in good order, kicking it over pumping the gas would cause backfires, i hitched it on tow with another bike and after a bit of clutching she fired up.
when i took her out for a squirt i noticed that the power wasnt as snappy as it was the day before after replacing two broken power valves. the kips is all working perfect and the bikes running now, but the lack of power has me stumped. the bikes got boyseen reeds, wisco piston, pro circuit pipe, shes all good so im now thinking of ignition, cdi or stator, can anyone help me sort it out. :bang:

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
im new to the kdx thing but one thing you could check on would be if the flywheel is on a key way and if that has sheered or worn

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
check the ohms on your stator coil. they should be between 250-370 at Resistance x10 when viewing a multimeter. You probably have a bit of a short. If it is between the ohms resistance you can search on CDI and I have a sheet out there which tells how to test that. But the faults usually occur with stator coil, sparking coil and then rarely CDI.

gimoov

Jul 25, 2004
sorted

:laugh: got her sorted, after looking everywhere, i took the magneto cover off and found i had a broken keyway, but i didnt spin all the way to not starting, just a little bit to stuff up the timing when band cuts in.
its going off now, can pop it up in 3rd easy off the throttle and revs right out through each gear,, :yeehaw:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…