im 19, getting first bike, heres my dilemma..

AaronTheory

May 30, 2003
I have very little experience on bikes, but ive rode quads from time to time, just never owned one. I am 6'0" and about 180lbs. I just sold my 68 Camaro and I have some extra cash so I want to get a bike. I live on the Cali central coast so I will most likely do a lot of riding at the pismo dunes. I have approximately $2000 to spend on something. I think I could probably get a decent RM/YZ/KX/CR in the 98-00yr range for about this much. My question is this.

Should I get a 125, or a 250? Lots of people tell me that a 250 is a big bike with a lot of power for a beginner, but I am pretty strong and big so I might be able to handle it. I like the way it feels to sit on a 125, and they tend to be slightly cheaper, and a lot of people have told me that I could have a lot of fun on a 125 (although it wont climb EVERY hill at the dunes).

I am really not sure which bike will suit my needs the best. I dont want to invest in a bike that I will want to move up from within just a few months, but I dont want to get something thats way too powerful and big for me. Please give me your suggestions.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I've had both a 250 and curently a 125. I also ride in sand because that's all that there is to ride around here. My first bike was kx250 and I'm 6'0 200#. I would suggest that if you plan on racing, go with a 125. A 125 has more power then 90% of the people that ride them can use, you just need to know how to use it. If you are going to be free riding with going to a track every once in a while, i would say go with a 250.

I can ride just about every thing in the sand that i did on my 250 with my 125. The only difference is that i need to carry my speed with the 125 where as my 250 it had all the torque you needed to pull from very low speeds in almost any gear.

Hope this helps.

AaronTheory

May 30, 2003
just a bit of a follow-up if anyone cares..

I ended up getting an '00 CR125 with a pro circuit works pipe and silencer, radiator braces, pro circuit port/polish cylinder job, renthal chainwheel, demarini handlebars, and some other little stuff. I got it for $2200 cash.

Heres a pic of it (with my new truck).

http://www.rockingthescene.com/theaarontheory/misc/1_19_04%20014.jpg

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Not to burst your bubble but your price range and the bikes you want to look at are out of whack. For that money, that new of bikes will need some work unless you are really lucky. Don't forget to buy some gear, more $$$$. One big mistake between bikes and ATV's is people not wearing safety gear. When you go down on a bike, it will hurt. Notice I said, WHEN, not IF. We all crash from time to time, it goes with the sport. Not allowing for the inevitable makes our sport dangerous instead of manageable.
Moral of the story, getting into this sport is not cheap. Just be sure to be safe and have fun.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom