cjonesy22002

Sep 16, 2005
so, the bike had been running erraticly the last little bit, cutting off etc.
well, now i have a chance to fix a possible problem:

i have the tank off the bike because i busted the seam at the bottom (it almost fell on me, and you ought not catch a bike by a 25 year old plastic gas tank!) but the seam isn't a problem, i'm in a few autobody classes at the community college, my thursday class is plastics&adhesives so i can patch it then.

on a car, the symptoms it had would pioint to a dirty fuel filter/dirtied up carb. so, this afternoon i cleaned out the carb and noticed no filter at the carb. i pulled the stopper vavlve from the tank and it has a small sand filled screen. brushed that off then thought:

that's a tiny tiny filter for a vehicle that is run solely off road.

then i thought:
perhaps i should just clean the screen and put it back together and leave it alone.

then i thought:
i could put a high flow clear body automotive fuel finter in the tank to carb line to keep the carb from getting dirty after all the trouble to clear this mess up.

so what do ya'll think? wouldn't cost anything to do, all the parts are here at the house.

bonus question for those that have read this: should i remove the screen from the stopper valve and only use the inline filter or would the sand&dirt foul the stopper valve?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Would that filter be made of glass by chance? If so, I would say no. You can get plastic inline filters dirt cheap at most bike shops. If you're really paranoid, filter your fuel while putting it in the tank.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Leave the screen in and just clean it out. Also don't forget to clean out the carb well.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom