Increase bottom end? (limited possibilities)

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Ok, so my bike is broke, and i got a job and i'm going to fix up my bike good over this winter. Its a 1983 KX250. Now after market parts are limited... BUT there has to be some options....

First off.. the bike has almost no bottom end.. (It has NO power valve) so no bottom end with an insane hit. I have found flywheel weights in (8, 10, & 12oz.) Which one would be good for hills, fields, tight/open woods and all around good weight to make it seem as if it had more bottom end?

Also i have found V-Force reeds will they help?

Now if i could i would just buy an after market pipe but... they don't make them...

Now i don't want to lose a lot of my top end because i love to scream threw my yard but i would really like more bottom end... i have to slip the clutch a lot now..

Oh and what about Eric Gorr? Could he do me a porting job that would help for a REASONABLE price? i don't want to be spending no $300+Piston/rings but i do plan on replacing the piston and rings and maby fixing the cylinder (if its warn[with new plating or whatever needs done, i'm not sure])

Thats it for my ideas.. i don't think there is anything else i could do... or am i wrong?

Im just looking for ideas.

Thanks for the help
~Tyler

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
A flywheel weight will not add any power, but it will make the bike a little less apt to stall and it will smooth the pipe out, but only slightly.

Eric does very good work! Replating the cylinder if needed will run about $200 if you don't need boring or welding. Eric is very reasonable on his porting prices, just give him a call when you are ready to actually have some work done, he is a very nice guy!

BTW I just received my son's KX100 engine back from Eric today! :cool:

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
I know a flywheel weight wont ADD bottom end, but i herd that it helps.. i dont have a problem stalling its just waiting for the power ban to kick from a stand still seems to take forever. and there is nothing there... just slow revving till it kicks.. But i thought the flywheel might help.. Am i worng?

And would porting actually help a good bit with bottom end?

Im full of questions.. And thanks, ill email or call Eric sometime...

is there anything else that i may be missing that will help with bottom end?

~Tyler

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Moparman1539 said:
i dont have a problem stalling its just waiting for the power ban to kick from a stand still seems to take forever. and there is nothing there... just slow revving till it kicks..

Until your jetting is SPOT ON, it will always do this regardless of the mods you perform.

None of the rest of this matters until the jetting is correct.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Ive never tried jetting. Nor do i know of the guy who owned it before me has. But i hardly ever foul plugs, and the plus don't look to bad. there not tanish brown or white, but not a Dark black or covered, more of a neutral gray (so a little rich on gas?) I have to read the threads about jetting, but i will probably start doing it after i rebuild.

But i figured having no powervalve was the reason for no bottom end..

Thanks rich

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Moparman1539 said:
I know a flywheel weight wont ADD bottom end, but i herd that it helps.. i dont have a problem stalling its just waiting for the power ban to kick from a stand still seems to take forever. and there is nothing there... just slow revving till it kicks.. But i thought the flywheel might help.. Am i worng?

And would porting actually help a good bit with bottom end?

Im full of questions.. And thanks, ill email or call Eric sometime...

is there anything else that i may be missing that will help with bottom end?

~Tyler

The added flywheel weight will make it slower to rev, how much slower depends upon how much weight you add.

Yes, porting can make a big difference.

And listen to Rich, he knows his stuff! :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Moparman1539 said:
But i figured having no powervalve was the reason for no bottom end..

Until you get the jetting sorted you are just guessing. Spending money to fix a problem you are guessing exists is a great way to spend money and be disappointed.

Top Bottom