Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I just bought a 2003 KDX 220R. The low end power is pretty good for a 2 stroke, but I'd like to make it better. Everyone always says a new pipe and silencer is the best first step. However, I like the quiet stock silencer. Could I increase my low end by changing the pipe but keeping the stock silencer? What kind of pipe would be best? All suggestions are greatly appreciated. :think:

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Do a search for the best pipe. And yes, the new pipe will work perfect with the stock silencer. Aftermarket silencers don't do much, except add noise and reduce weight.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
The factory pipe isn't as good as aftermarket, is heavy, but is much quieter than aftermarket. Silencers don't make as much of a change IMO.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
I just bought a used FMF spark arrester and I think its as quiet as the stock unit and only weighs 3 lbs or so. I'd guess the stock unit is 7-8 lbs.

I haven't noticed any difference in power.

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
I wish everyone wanted to go quiet.. I got a FMF -Q spark arrestor for mine and its 93db or lower. about the same as stock, noise and power. except for how long it is I really like it.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you must keep the bike as quiet as stock, your options are limited. Instead of changing the pipe, add a larger rear sprocket or drop 1 tooth off the front - it will feel like you have more low end.

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
I bought a moose reed spacer for mine that added a ton of low end power. My bike is a 92 and it has the FMF k-14 pipe on it. Just a thought.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: everyone always says...

Whew! That leaves me out!

First thing you do is what costs the less and gives you the most benefit.

Rejet. Check here:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net

..for starting points for your bike.

Pipe'll certainly give you a big kick. Which, you ask? Certainly any sort of looking 'round this site gets you the idea that it's 100% personal choice. In the FmF line, -30 (rev) if you want to help out the restricted top-end of the 220, -35 (torque) if you want even MORE on the bottom than you've got now.

The -35 is a whole lot smaller pipe, btw. The -30 is a glass chin just hanging out there waiting to get whacked!

Another 'everybody always...' I thought the addition of my PC S/A made a BIG improvement in bottom-end tractable power.

The -30 is louder than the -35, too.

imho

...and k-14 won't fit on your bike......

Cheers!

The Axman

Feb 17, 2002
I went with the -35 and the Turbine Core II S/A. The difference in power is incredible. Jetting is critical to take full advantage of all available power. Ax

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Thanks for all the great suggestions everybody!!! I'm printing them out right now!! Regarding jetting, it's in the 50'sF right now in PA. I noticed a big increase in power by raising my pilot and main jets 1 step richer from stock. After reading the NGK spark plug info., I understand that colder air is more dense and causes the mixture to go lean. I'm guessing in the summer I may need to go back to stock jetting a step leaner. Is this typically the way it works? Thanks Again!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom