Pro Circuity Platinum II or FMF Rev for KDX220?

kdxrider3

Jun 15, 2008
I have a 2003 KDX 220. Only mod so far is the air box modification. I would like to hear from other KDX220 riders that use either the Pro Circuit Platinum II pipe or FMF Rev pipe. I plan to buy a new pipe soon (and install Boyesen 607 reeds at the same time) and usually ride both a combination of fairly tough steep trails along with some wide open sand riding. I want more top-end but don't want to lose the low-end torque the KDX220 was designed for. My questions are will I lose low-end torque with the FMF Rev pipe? And will I gain any top end over stock with the Pro Circuit Platinum II pipe? I am looking for a balanced pipe with increased performance in all areas of the power band if that's possible. What do you recommend?

Last part of the question is will the stock silencer work OK? I don't want a lot more noise but don't want to kill any chance of a performance gain if a new silencer is a must!

flying flea

Mar 18, 2008
I'm not sure about those pipes, but the FMF Fatty pipe on my KDX is absolutely phenomenal. There was a bit of top end loss, but it rips, chugs, and screams.

kdxrider3

Jun 15, 2008
Is the FMF Fatty still available for the KDX220? I mostly hear people talk about the FMF Woods & FMF Rev. How does the FMF Fatty fit into their lineup of pipes.

Does anybody have personal experience with the Pro Circuit Platinum II?

firffighter

Jan 31, 2005
I have a '97 KDX220 and my brother has '05 KDX220. I have the Pro Circuit pipe and my brother has the FMF pipe Gnarly pipe.

My 220 with the PC pipe still has a ton of low end. You wont lose anything on the bottom, but will have nice gains in the top end. I had a Pro Circuit silencer on it, but it did not have a spark arrestor, so I put my stock silencer back on and did not notice any differences at all.

My brothers 220 with the Gnarly does not have the top end mine does, but I also have the RB carb and head mod as well which makes a huge difference.

Hope this helps

Jun 6, 2008
I have the Pro Circuit on my 220 with the factory sound Pro circuit silencer and I love it. Great power and torque all through the band and nice top end. Sound is nice too....not too loud but a it is a deep throaty sound.

fattyfatty

Jun 17, 2008
I just installed a FMF Fatty on my 200 and it flies. Seems to rev a little higher as well. Should have simular results on a 220. Good luck

fruitfarmer7

May 6, 2008
I have about three rides with the FMF rev, it still doesn't have the top end I expected, but it has phenomenal bottom end. I've climbed some sand hillls where I have just used the lower part of the rev range. I stilll find it amazing. I may have to fine tune the jetting, but as far in the woods, it works really well. Now if I can just figure out something to do with the forks.

kdxrider3

Jun 15, 2008
Hey...thanks for the help but I still have a few questions especially if you're riding the KDX220.
Firffighter, you seem real pleased with the power throughout the band with the Pro Circuit but it is the Pro Circuit Platinum II? I believe they no longer make to original Pro Circuit pipe and the Platinum II might be tuned closer to the FMF Woods (Torque) pipe.

Fruitfarmer7, you mention the FMF Rev pipe gives you phenomenal low end but not quite as much top end as you expected. I'm surprised...would have expected those comments more regarding the FMF Woods pipe. How did the pipe fit?...I've heard some FMF riders complain about the fit.

Last, there were several mentions about the Fatty...are you sure the Fatty is still available for a 2003 KDX220...I thought FMF offers just the REV or Woods (Torque)?

stevewr450f

Nov 22, 2006
I have 2 KDX 220s. Have FMF Rev Pipe. Send your carb and head to Ron Black, RB Designs. He will bore out carb and port engine. Very affordable. Great mod - with that pipe and reeds you will have much more bottom and top end. You wont regret it.

Top Bottom