craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
This was my second 2-day event, the first being the Boondockes last fall on the TSCEC circuit. My experience was favorable for both races, camping last fall at the Texas site, and driving in both days to the BJEC races.
My wife, Mary, and I left Stillwater around 9AM for the Saturday race at Braggs, Oklahoma. It only took 2 hours so I was feeling good about sleeping between events in my own bed after a nice shower and meal. We stopped to fuel up a couple of miles from the site and ran across a fellow racer that was having vehicle problems at the gas station. We ran out to the site, unloaded and Mary went back to get the other racer and his gear to make sure he could race that day. We found JustQL and his son, Quint, and set up our base camp with them. This was Quint's second enduro since moving up to the Youth class that races with the 'big guys'. JustQL and Quint were on the last row, 50, and the closest I could get was on 45, ahead of them.
The format was a looped qualifier, so I took off with my row and rode the course until the first check-in, where I would wait until Justin and Quint showed up. We would check into the test section with Quint leaving first, me starting 15 seconds later, and Justin bringing up the rear. We would run the test section, then the three of us would trail ride until the next test section.
The course was tight and rocky, there was only one spot, right after the start, where I tried to shift to 7th gear. The bulk of the course for me was 2nd and 3rd gear. The first day left me feeling beat and bad, I was lucky Mary was there to drive me home. I wasn't feeling real whoopie about coming back the next day and doing it again, but I'd already put down the dough.
Sunday morning came, and I was feeling alot better, but still leary about what the day would bring. Luckily, the experience and 'feel' gained from the first day made for alot easier riding on Sunday. I felt better as the day went on, and thought I was posting faster times, on day 2. On day one, I was usually running right at the hook-up point on the auto-clutch. Rarely got the rpms up to the strong power range. Day two, I was able to spin it up really charge between the rough spots. Finished with a real 'feel good' attitude, and an overall good experience.
Day one, 17th out of 34 'C' riders, and 5th out of 12 'C' Senior riders.
Day two, 20th out of 35 'C' riders, and 4th out of 13 'C' Senior riders.

I strung together some video clips that Mary took on day one and posted them at...
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/craig_enid
The file is named IndNatDay1.
There are also some good pics on the BJEC picture page...
http://blackjackenduro.com/Pictures.asp

The auto-clutch... it took awhile, but I really like the advantages that it offers. I'll have one on all my bikes, from now on.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
The weekend was a ball. While my butt is still recovering from the abuse I enjoyed it. Saturday mornign found Quint and I heading south into Oklahoma for the wonderful rocks of Gruber. We arrived early and got signed up and waited for our row to come up. We were on row 50, the last one. I rode following Quint, who was in the youth class. It was a qualifier format so when we got to the first check Craig was waiting. We rode with Quint starting ahead of us followed by Craig,15 seconds later then me 15 behind Craig. It was amazing that as the weekend went on it became harder and harder to catch Quint. He had the TTR wound up. The first day ended with Quint standing second and me fourth.

We quickly loaded up after the race, made a flying trip back to Kansas. I had to go to a Prom that night. Thats one thing a Principal can't miss.

Sunday morning came early with Quint and I heading south agian. The two hour trip went quickly. My bike had faired well the day before with the only casualty being a kickstart bolt and washer. Day two would not be as friendly to the bike.

At mile ten I saw a tree on the side of the trail, for some reason I noticed the tree, I actually did more than notice it I fixated on it. Needless to say I hit it and sent my self to the ground. I was uninjured but the bike had suffered a broken clutch line. No Clutch the rest of the day. :ugg:

I rode hard and only had trouble a few times with not having a clutch. Quint had went down on a hill in a test section and bent his shifter where he couldn't shift, he rode 4-5 miles in first gear. His day would end with him being sixth out of ten.I moved down a spot without the clutch, placing fifth, 4 seconds behind fourth. Only five minutes from first. I also manged to mangle a radiator somewhere during the day. Overall an expensive two days of racing.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Glad to hear that everone is still alive and in one piece. Memorial Day will be here before we know it. Justin, don't worry about the bike..... it's only money! ;)

Top Bottom