Injury at Haspin Acres in Laurel, IN today.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If you were at Haspin today, and saw the kid who crashed on the big track, I have an update.

(For those of you that don't know and aren't from around here, Haspin is a 900 acre privately owned ORV park in east central Indiana about 80 miles South East of Indy.)

He was air lifted to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis. He is squeezing fingers and moving toes.

He has a head injury that they are having a Neurosurgeon look at.

At the least he will be in the critical care unit at Methodist for a couple of days.

The parents of this kid aren't in the best financial shape and could probably use some help, but at this point nothing is setup.

If that changes I will post something to that effect.

Keep Michael Knipp in your prayers.

(He got in a spot that was really tacky mud and got a sever head shake and was tossed off of the bike. He landed on his head about 30 feet from the bike. Oh, he's only 9 years old)

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
I hope he's ok. Seing these little kids crash on Motorcycles kinda makes me scared it will happen to me, but I mightve been riding longer than the kids and be a bit more mature and handle the bike a bit better.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
150rguy said:
I hope he's ok. Seing these little kids crash on Motorcycles kinda makes me scared it will happen to me, but I mightve been riding longer than the kids and be a bit more mature and handle the bike a bit better.

Anyone can get hurt at anytime on these things. They are very dangerous.

But, with proper training and good supervision there is no reason why kids shouldn't be allowed on them..

He was riding on a track, with an adult riding just behind him when it happened.

He is a very good rider, but this time it got away from him.

I really feel for his dad. It's really hard when your kids are hurt.

I'll be going up to the hospital in the AM, so I should have an update on his condition sometime in the afternoon.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
that is really sad stuff to hear. my prayers go out to him and his family. you know how long he's been riding? sad to hear happened to such a young rider

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I just spoke with his father. They put a shunt in his skull to relieve pressure. They are doing more tests right now and will know more this afternoon.

He is still in very serious condition.

MX86: He's been riding almost as long as he's been walking. His father has been riding since he was a little kid, and raced hare scrambles most of his adult life. They are very experienced, so this just proves that anyone is vulnerable.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Just got home from spending all day at the hospital.

He is not responding to commands. This is not a good thing. He should be by now.

But, all other indications are good. All of his vitals have been pretty steady and he does respond to touch.

Time will tell.

mrliquid

Dec 26, 2006
please post any info asap when you hear. I just bought my daughter her first bike for Christmas and she's 9 as well so this is a little un-nerving.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
mrliquid said:
please post any info asap when you hear. I just bought my daughter her first bike for Christmas and she's 9 as well so this is a little un-nerving.

It is un-nerving for sure, but it is no reason to stop riding.

It is every reason to teach your daughter how to ride properly and how to be safe when riding.

It is a great time to teach her about the importance of proper safety gear and how to wear that gear correctly.

As I said before, he was a very experienced rider and it was just a freak accident.

He has been riding since he was 2 1/2 years old.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
mrliquid said:
No we wont stop riding:) I missed it tonight but Wednesday I'll add the boy and family to the prayer list at church.

Same here.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I just got a call from Dean. They brought Michael out of the sedation this morning. He was responding to commands, opened his eyes a bit and was struggling.

They opted to put him back under sedation until he has more time to recover, but they are considering removing the majority of the aparatus they have attached to him.

There is alot of hope for him!!!

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Thats great! Will he ever be able to ride a bike again?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
They are going to start lowering the sedation today, and hopefully will be able to remove it completely.

They also want to remove all of the tubes today. That is a very very good thing!!

I'm told that he opened his eyes several times, and is generally more responsive now.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
IndyYZ85..He's added to my prayers....I'm a Veteran of Haspin due to living in Central IN. I have witnessed Uncountable Good times and few Bad times there...Great place to ride,sometimes dangerous to ride But what place isnt..?....Hopefully he will be back on 2 wheels soon.....
Crazy4nitro

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Michael is doing alot better today. While I was up there he was mostly awake, and watching movies. He wrote his name on a notepad.. That was great to see!! He is supposed to have an MRI today, and once he is down from the sedative from that they are going to be moving him from Critical Care to Rehab tomorrow.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Great to hear he's doing better. I have two kids that ride as well so hearing about this does tend to make one a bit nervous. Just goes to show there is no way to be 100% safe on a bike no matter how much protective gear you are wearing. My prayers are with him and his family.

Top Bottom