BigBobT

Aug 28, 2002
Since Smit-Dog asked me for an update on my injury I thought I'd do a little status post. As several of you know, in September, a week after I got my new 450EXC, I had a little tipover incident that resulted in a broken collarbone. Since it was fractured in three places (bone was in four pieces), I had an operation a couple of days later and had a pin put in. Hopefully it was going to be in for only about 6-8 weeks or so and then removed.

However, the bone has been very slow to heal and the operation to remove it has been postponed a few times. Currently it is scheduled to be yanked out Feb 3rd. I have an appointment for another set of xrays a few days prior that will hopefully show some decent bone growth and this date will be a go.

It has been a major pain in the ass to have this pin sticking out of the back of my collarbone and just under the skin. Although I think it was the right thing to do, it is very uncomfortable when I move around, sleep on my back, etc. The end of the pin is rough because they snap it off at the correct length after it is inserted in the bone.

I was pretty much a newbie to dirt riding (lots of street miles, now trying to keep up with my 14 year old son). My wife is not thrilled with me getting back on the KTM and is very concerned about a reinjury as am I. This has been a bit too disruptive at this point in my life and don't care to have another incident any time soon.

So, the big question for me is can I ride sanely and safely without hurting myself. Being short, bike height is a bit of a factor. I just picked up a shorter seat from Lansing Cycle today and when I bought the bike I had the suspension lowered a little bit. Every bit helps and should also give me a little more confidence once I can start riding again.

Still hoping to find some easier trails that aren't too sandy or whooped out until I can gain more confidence and experience. I'm thinking maybe some two trackers in the UP and things like that might be a good choice for a while.

Hope to meet a bunch of you this summer at some of the rides.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Bob. You can ride with me anytime. I'm the second slowst rider in the world! Come join the CCC and we'll show you some nice and easy trails. "I ride like there is a tomorrow!" F/S trailfest has some trails that'd be right up your alley!

Drew 674

Jul 25, 2002
Bob, hope you can get that pin out soon...from what smit dog has told me and the info i've read it was the way to go. Just take it easy, and heal up complety and you'll back on the katoomer soon.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Bob,

Once you are back on the bike, here is an idea.  I have invited many newbies to the LMC clubgrounds to learn to ride.  We have a huge field to ride and many trails right on the grounds.  The trails vary from quad width to 30 inches.

Last fall I had a group of people that I work with at the clubgrounds and we never left the property.  On Sunday, Loctite stopped by and we went for a faster ride on the ORV trail, but the guys from work stayed on the clubgrounds.

You and your family are more than welcome to come to Moorestown and enjoy the clubgrounds.  I make many trips in the Spring, Summer and Fall.

Your neighbor,   Mike

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks for the update Bob! Bummer on the slow bone growth. Older bones heal much slower. Having broke same CB at 18 and then 38, healing time was much longer. And it "interfers" quite a bit more with life/work as an adult!

Have you asked the Doc for a bone growth stimulator? After 2 months of very little healing progress, I hooked one of these babies up and was riding at about 80% strength 2 months later. It increases blood flow to the broken bone area, which in turn becomes bone glue, and then bone. They are around $4,000, so make sure insurance covers it.

The pin sounds like a major pain, but I'd imagine that the healing would be much harder/longer without it. At least you won't have a crooked shoulder and can get back to your underware modeling gig! ;)

I'd say stick to the two track trails for a while until you get your dirt legs. Coming from street riding, a bike probably seems really squirrely on the dirt/sand. I'm still a little wary of falling again, but the confidence will slowly come back.

Hopefully we'll see you this spring. And there is some two-track around LMC that you can ride.

BigBobT

Aug 28, 2002
Hey thanks for all the words of encouragment. I haven't talked to my doc about a bone growth stimulator but will if my next xray is still not showing much healing.

I'd like to come up to the LMC area in the spring if it can work out. I can putter around in the open areas on my XR250 and let my son go out and get the KTM broken in a bit. Also, I did join the CCC in the fall and have enjoyed reading the newsletters and getting a lot of ideas.

Wallis

Jan 19, 2001
Bob,

I went over the handlebars in July and separated my shoulder. The real kicker was that my little boy was born a month later. I was walking around in a brace trying to help my wife take care of a newborn and a two year old - that's disruptive. I understand your hesitation about getting back on, it took me a long time to decide not to sell the bike.

I went for a ride in November - it is possible to ride sanely. It was nice to get back out there but the injury will always be lingering in the back of my mind. My new focus is technique rather than speed.

Take your time and don't push it.

To all the MTR's, I'm a former wolverine watching this form and wishing I was up there. Great forum.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Wallis
... To all the MTR's, I'm a former wolverine watching this form and wishing I was up there. Great forum.
Looks like you live fairly close to the MI border. Come on up riding next season! There are a bunch of MTRs around the Grand Rapids area (MWEISSEN, Badgerman, Jeff Allen).

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
BigBobT, I'd like to reinforce Fatherandson's note on the LMC campground area. It's a great place to get used to a bike because of the field area and trails around it. The kids have a blast on it! It would be great to see some public riding areas with fields for kids and people getting used to bike to be able to ride on before tackling some of the major sand whoops in Michigan.

I hope to be able to meet you on a ride in the spring of '03!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Hey BigBobT -

How's the bone healing up? Still have the pin in? Figure I'd check in with you, it's been a couple of months.

It's getting to be ridin' season, hope to see you out there this year...

BigBobT

Aug 28, 2002
Thanks for asking Smit-Dog. Got the pin out last month and just had a follow-up appointment with the doc last week. The bone growth has been really slow until the past month. Since the surgery, I've been pretty physically active and I think this has helped with the healing.

I'm currently working on an project that is much overdue because of my injury. Until it is done, I won't take any risks riding. Therefore, I'm working my a$$ off 7 days a week so I can ride sooner. Should be back in the saddle by about the end of April.

I'm really happy that I had the bone pinned. Although it has been a long road, I think it would have been much worse if I had just tried to hold it in place via a sling.

This summer I really want to get out on some 2 tracks and easy trails, have some fun and take it easy. I really need to minimize risks so I'm hoping to avoid whoops, loose sand and stuff for a while.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom