Input on computer/speedo/odometer please

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
Are the aftermarket enduro computers fairly accurate as far as registering mph and mileage?
Any moderately priced models to recommend? At this point I'm not terribly concerned with a multitude of functions, just the basics- mph, mileage, possibly an elapsed time function or eta, and reliability. Though I've started researching, I'm not at all familiar with any of them.

*EDIT*- The Trailtech Panorama looks nice for $79.95 at MX South, and I'm looking at the Watchdog2000 at about $280. Big difference in price. Is the Watch dog that much better? Oh my head's a hurting. lol

Thank much in advance!!!

Last edited:

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
If cost is a concern, then you might try fitting a bicycle computer to your MC. One of my enduro buddies fitted a $20 bicycle computer to his CR 250. The biggest challenge he had was extending the wire. He mounted the sensor on his plastic fork guard. They can be calibrated for different wheel sizes, so adjusting for accurate readings shouldn't be a problem. The $25 Cateye on my MTB has an odometer, a clock, a trip meter and a stop watch. The speedo has a top speed memory feature and it shows current speed as well as average speed over a ride. I took an old MTB computer with a broken wire and mounted to my bars for a stop watch. It works great for pacing long hare scrambles, and I can operate the start/stop without taking my hand off the throttle.

JUSTRIDE415

~SPONSOR~
Oct 26, 2001
I have a trail tech and love it. Now i just need to figure out how to reset it for the odometer and mph. I also need to figure out if its calibrated correctly for my crf250x

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
Thanks for the advice Shig. The bicycle comp is a neat idea but I'll be able to get something better. I'll remember it for future reference though!

Justride415- I really like the big, easy-to-see readout on the Trailtech so I'm leaning toward it so far. A nearby elementary school has a semi-perm mounted radar unit which displays your mph as you drive by. I hope a few passes will help in fine tuning the calibration.

Thanks for the advice!

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Vamp, as long as your not looking for specific Enduro features, I think your probably better off with the Trailtech one. The Watchdog unit is designed specifically for Enduro racing use and has alot of features that might not be of any value, if your not racing Enduros.

I too am looking at the Watchdog unit, only I do want it for enduro racing specifically. I've heard nothing but good comments about it. The ICO Checkmate is really nice, but VERY expensive. Pacemaker also has one, but several folks have told me about service problems, but these may be purely isolated incidents.

ICO also makes a couple of more basic units than the Checkmate that may also meet your needs.

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
Hey thanks JTT. That's just what I was wanting to know. The Trailtech sounds like the way to go.

Top Bottom