Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
As long as they stay in one or the other I don't care. What chaps me is when I am taking a line around a slower rider and they just migrate into mine... Usually they know how I feel about it as I go by.:think

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Thump
What chaps me is when I am taking a line around a slower rider and they just migrate into mine

i do that on purpose to keep guys behind me. i pride myself on my blocking abilities.

if i'm passing someone slower, i prefer that they take the outside line (but i expect them to move over on me).

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
As long as they pick one or the other, not both I'm happy. It really ticks me when I am trying to pass someone and they keep moving into my line or when I am coming up they suddenly change into the line in front of me and i have to slam on the brakes or swerve to avoid collision. This one guy did this to me about 8 times and he was so slow and I couldn't get around him because of it. I even got hit in the air by this guy because he couldn't hold a friggin line if his life depended on it. Diagonal in the air is unacceptable in my book. :think I worried about being in the way of faster riders before and the riders told me to just keep your line and the faster riders will find a way around you.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I don't know much about harescramble etiquette, but on the mx track blocking is quite acceptable. Hey, if you are racing everyone is supposed to be the same class of rider, yes? Blocking is part of mx racing. If you are so fast that you are passing everyone, you are sandbagging and should be up in class.
I agree that taking a jump sideways is grounds for fightin, but if I ride into someones line on a turn it's their bad luck..or mine if they are so lame they can't deal with my block and t-bone me.

The only way anyone could beat Buddy Antunez last year was to chase him out of his heavily guarded inside lines then block him on the outside. Normally it was him doing any blocking though.

It's part of the game folks! Just another obstacle. :p

B

biglou

Personally, if I can hook up and get the inside line, that's usually the ONLY place I can pass someone! Many a time I've been battling with someone and the only way I can get by is when they take the outside line and leave the inside open. Their momentum will take them away from you and you can sneak under them. Follow these suggestions and you too can get second (to last) place in the beginner class!;)

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by mx547

I do that on purpose to keep guys behind me. i pride myself on my blocking abilities.

if i'm passing someone slower, i prefer that they take the outside line (but i expect them to move over on me).
I do too to an extent, but when someone is out of my league in the speed department, I hold my line and let them by. I do not race, only play ride, but under race conditions with my buddies I block like a big man at a buffet.:cool: My rule of thumb, if you are a slower rider and not interested in blocking someone behind you, hold your line and let them go by. I was refering to slower inexperienced riders during practice in my initial reply.

Taraker,
Last time I heard you were not even riding any more.... and last time we were out together you must have been looking for loose change in the corner I passed you in huh?:p

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
I try to ride HS. I'm one of the slow guys. I try to hold a line to let you all get by, but I'm not always able to. If I could I wouldn't be so slo! One thing I have noticed in my long career of being passed, the really fast guys are courteous, let me know they are there and want to get by, pass safely, don't roost me, and often yell thanks. And I won't see them again until they lap me again!
The wanna bees that bump and screeam and roost by me - well I'll be seeing them soon. They'll either be blocking me in the tight stuff, climbing out from under their bikes, or trying to get restarted in the middle of the one lane track. But I'll try to safely let them by me again if they catch me.
But that guy that pushed me into the tree last race - I wish I would have had the presence of mind to note and remember his number, I just may try to block him next chance I get. The rider behind him told me it looked like he did it on purpose. Oh well.
Sorry if this should have been on the flame board.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
, but under race conditions with my buddies I block like a big man at a buffet.

LOL :) Now yer talkin!

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Thump
if you are a slower rider and not interested in blocking someone behind you, hold your line and let them go by. I was refering to slower inexperienced riders during practice in my initial reply.

i agree. i was talking about motocross racing when you know the guy behind you is in your class. i guess i should have made that clear. in practice, i let the faster guys by too. sometimes i'll even point out which line for them to take to get by.

JJmxr

Nov 14, 1999
If I am praticing I try not to pass slower guys in corners, too unpredictable IMO. I try to stay back a little, go high to get a little extra speed, and get them before the next corner. I will just hold my line for faster riders, then try like hell to keep up with them, and maybe learn a thing or two. As far racing goes I will not hesitate to brake late, and park my bike in the middle of the corner if thats what it takes to get by. They do put brakes on a bike for a reason don't they?

What really gets me is when slower big bike riders,block or stuff our faster mini-riders. I know it hurts their egos to get passed by a 12yo, but deal with it. A jerk last weekend took my kid, and his friend out twice! We got every fast guy we knew to screw with the guy. I know for a fact that he didn't get a single clean lap for the rest of the day, and he had a steady diet of roost.

Top Bottom