install tips for FMF pipe and silencer?

Ensign

Oct 13, 1999
Any one have any tips for installing a FMF torque pipe and TCII silencer? I'm planning on doing it this week. Are there supposed to be any gaskets between the pipe and engine or the pipe and silencer? Without a spring puller tool, what's the best way to pull of the exhaust springs?

I bought the pipe and silencer used, so I don't have any instructions.

Thanks!

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Pop the springs off with a pair of vise grips. The only thing that should be near the head and the pipe is the rubber o-ring. Maybe a little high temp silicon for good measure. As far as the silencer is concerned, maybe a little silicon down there to. You probably don't need it, but it can never hurt. ?Make sure to rejet after installing the pipe..

Good luck....

Ensign

Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by someday
Be sure the silicone sleeve between pipe and SA is oriented correctly.

Is this something that's on the stock pipe and SA? I don't see one with the exhaust I got.

Thanks.

RADMAN

Jun 20, 2001
I just installed a FMF Pipe and Spark arrestor on my 2001 KDX 200! It was easy and made my bike handle completely different. I also installed a flywheel weight at the same time! Awsome controll throughout the entire power band. I was really impressed. I have not rejetted yet....I didn't really feel i need to...It ran great. I too used the stock rubber thingy between my new pipe and Spark arrestor...Worked fine!

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Another little tip is to install Zip-Tys around the rubber sleeve that goes between the silence and the exhaust pipe. This will help keep any spooge from seeping out.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Be sure and remove the o-rings at the inlet end of the stock pipe and install them on the new pipe. I use a piece of safety wire and vice grips to tug on the springs.

Blue Loc-tite all the attaching bolts if you want them to stick around for more than a ride or two.

Re-use the rubber thingie between the pipe and silencer too.

Gonna re-jet and open up the airbox too, right?

Ensign

Oct 13, 1999
Yep, already have some new jets. I cut away most of the airbox lid. I left enough for it to mount on the airbox and to hold the CDI. Pretty much like there's no lid though.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

Top Bottom