Shift-MX

Feb 10, 2002
Im uhh kinda having problems installing circlips...anyone have any tips on making this easier? if i cant get em in ill most likley take it to the shop... :ugg: :ugg:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
I didn't and my bike runs just fine.

Start them in the grove and just roll them in. When you get to the point of resistance due to spring tention you are going to need your thumb and a screw driver(Flat tip...LOL) to push it the rest of the way. Presto!!! It's in! Careful on the side of the piston though, they can and will gouge pretty easily! (If thats what you are trying to install the circlips on of course!) :)
I just did the top end on mine and she runs fine :p

Shift-MX

Feb 10, 2002
Thxs alot irishEKU, it worked woo hoo! now all i gotta do is wait for my cylinder to get back from Mr.Gorr...Grrr must be patient!

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Glad to hear it big guy! Be patiant! Down Boy! OUCH!!!! Those where my fingers! Dude!!!!!!!!

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I've done I don't know how many top-ends, and still hate those little buggers. The advice given is good. What helps me is to use a good pair of small needle nose pliers. Not the flimsy ones.

At times I could almost start a flame on circlips!

Shift-MX

Feb 10, 2002
ya i tried a pair of needle nose first...the problem is...if they slp in the pliers they come flyin outta them at like 394653046 mph...then you gotta find it. Mine ended up being more then half way across the garage under a shoe, go figure eh?

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
At least you found it! I've had the same thing happen the night b-4 a race and had to dig one of the old ones out of the garbage can!

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
I hope you have the opening either at the top or bottom.

Think about it.....If you were trying to hammer them together to get them out what side would you beat on?? (That's what the inertia of the piston going up and down does. Now that you still have time make sure you turn the openings in the proper location.

Good Luck,
Jim

r_rider28

~SPONSOR~
Feb 24, 2002
Good tip on the location of the opening, I have never paid much attention. Lucky I have never had a problem with it. Probably my dumb luck that I have them in the correct position. Again good tip.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom