FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Put a large screwdriver in the split and give it a gentle little twist. That should give you enough clearance to slide it through. You have to hold the screwdriver with one hand while manipulating the fork with the other. It actually helps to have an extra pair of hands, but I managed tonight by supporting the weight with my foot while getting the measurement right.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
well i aligned the forks and did what the transworld motocross article and my manual said, step by step. Everything is fine until i torque the steering stem nut, then it is harder to turn the forks back and forth. its not so much to be a problem, but its enough that they dont turn freely. anyone have any ideas to what im doing wrong?

Last edited:

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
the nut between the top clamp and the frame not that tight... the steering felt free when that nut was tight. then i torqued the top nut to 105 footpounds like the manual says and it becomes harder to steer.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
the steering stem doesnt turn on the bottom clamp, does it?

i torqued the top nut to 50 and the same tight feeling happened.

jprm250

Jul 16, 2006
why are you messing with the steering stem........you should only have 2-3 bolts on the upper clamp and 2-3 on the bottom and that's it. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TOUCH THE STEERING STEM NUT AT ALL. I have never done this on any of the bikes I have had in the past 10 years. The stem controls left and right movement. the CLAMPS are what hold the fork........slow down and think. The stem has no effect on your suspension, the clamps (tripple trees) do.........use your owners manual first. Not articles on the net.........good luck

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
You are correct sir, but since he's already screwed with it, lets address that.

Dude.. back off that bottom nut a touch. Then, tighten the top nut on the clamp, if you have to hold that bottom nut with something to make sure that it's not moving.

If that nut doesn't move, it shouldn't tighten up.

The stem is pressed into the bottom clamp, and should not turn. Even if it did, it wouldn't cause the problem you are seeing. Unless it's so loose that the top nut is drawing it up when you tighten. But I doubt that's what's happening.

When I have taken my triple clamps apart to lube everything, I have tightened that first nut until I felt resistance on the bearings, then backed off a bit. Then put the clamp on, and tightened the top nut. Then torque the clamps on the forks. I've never had the stem tighten like you are having.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
You are correct sir, but since he's already screwed with it, lets address that.

Dude.. back off that bottom nut a touch. Then, tighten the top nut on the clamp, if you have to hold that bottom nut with something to make sure that it's not moving.

If that nut doesn't move, it shouldn't tighten up.

The stem is pressed into the bottom clamp, and should not turn. Even if it did, it wouldn't cause the problem you are seeing. Unless it's so loose that the top nut is drawing it up when you tighten. But I doubt that's what's happening.

When I have taken my triple clamps apart to lube everything, I have tightened that first nut until I felt resistance on the bearings, then backed off a bit. Then put the clamp on, and tightened the top nut. Then torque the clamps on the forks. I've never had the stem tighten like you are having.

k ill try backing the bottom nut off a bit..

why are you messing with the steering stem........you should only have 2-3 bolts on the upper clamp and 2-3 on the bottom and that's it. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO TOUCH THE STEERING STEM NUT AT ALL. I have never done this on any of the bikes I have had in the past 10 years. The stem controls left and right movement. the CLAMPS are what hold the fork........slow down and think. The stem has no effect on your suspension, the clamps (tripple trees) do.........use your owners manual first. Not articles on the net.........good luck

uhhhhh so are you saying you've never greased the bearings in your steering stem? damn...

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
turning it out a bit helped. i dont think the bottom nut was turning when i was tightening the top one. thanks indymx

but i also found another problem, my front brake pin wont come out for ANYTHING and i bought a new pin and pads.

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
I had the same thing happen. I took it to be the nut below the top TT being moved from tension to compression on its threads. No biggie, I just backed it off a 1/4 turn and then tightened the nut on top of the TT.

I had it all part to lube the steering stem bearings. Damn PO's and their pressure washers....

A little heat on that pin and some persuasion and it should come out

Top Bottom