installing hybrid kickstart lever?

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Any of you that have built a hybrid lever--did it fit perfect? I had to grind a corner on new lever slightly to get mine to go all the way back to folded in position.... so the ball would seat. Did any of you have this problem or did yours fit perfect? Thanks!

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
When I replaced mine I had to grind a corner a little bit to get it to swing properly

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
I pulled a kick start lever off an '86KX125. A couple strokes with a hand file got mine to seat properly. BTW, it was a straight swap, one bolt switch.

Svock

~SPONSOR~
Nov 28, 2001
I took mine off of a '89 kx 125. I just switched the knuckles and I was good to go. Dont forget to locktite the bolt that holds it on. My friend lost his kickstarter due to this.

Happy Riding

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
went back to stock

thought it would be cool to have a trick lighter one.

after trying several, i finally tried one from an 89KX250 (that a friend had as a spare). slipped right on. just exactly enough clearance. would have needed to fabricate a spacer so the bolt would secure it properly on the shaft.

but the stock assembly fits properly, and is easier for me to repair since i can't weld aluminum.

i find that the footbed part of the lever will start to angle backwards after awhile. to repair this, pull the lever off it's pivot and weld some hard-facing where the metal is peened at it's lever-to-base contact. grind the weld off to match the lever's proper dimensions, and you're on your way!

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
I installed a 92 KX125 kickstarter on mine and itworks great, had to do some grinding but it's aluminum.

stinx

Jul 25, 2000
I recently purchaseda kick start lever from Fredette racing. I have tried to install it,but it does not fit,i am returning it for one that does fit. Anybody ekse have trouble with thiers??

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
If I buy JUST the kickstart lever and swap it striaght across with the KDX one will it work? Like, take off the KDX lever, put on KX lever, bolt her up? (With minor grinding I see, but thats no problem)

keetkdx

Apr 18, 2000
To make it fit perfect, minus the grinding you need to swap the knuckle part.Meaning,Use the kx kicker and use the orignal knuckle from the kdx put it all together and it will work without any grinding at all.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Braahp: Your question regarding 'hybrid' concerns kickers from other kawis put on the kdx? Or aftermarket levers, too?

My FRP lever had to be ground down in a couple of spots. Where you mention, and at the base where it hit the engine when kicked.

stinx: You can return it for one that fits? What...they make two kinds..ones that fit, and ones that don't?

I got 'one that don't', too. Asked 'em about it twice. No response. I used a new knuckle, too...so there isn't any sloppines due to excessive wear that's the issue.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
I just figured most who read about the "hybrid" lever from JustKDX would know that it was an oem from a '89 KX 125 I was installing.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
stinx
my FRP one will only fit the bike that has the pro something pipe. " the other brand" :>) my bike with the FMF pipe, it just would'nt work on. would'nt fold all the way back to the frame.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If your knuckle is fine...it will work. If the oem kicker is bent, deformed, mangled, all of the force to do that went through the knuckle, so IT'S probably worn out, too.

Which is why I din't bother with the old knuckle. Besides, I'd had it off several times in the past for 'fixing'; welding, grinding etc.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…