Joe_148

Mar 13, 2004
Can someone explain how to install a throttle tube. I havent took it apart to look yet, im sure its pretty simple but can someone just give the steps..what can I clean inside there? with what? should I lube the cable?

Also, im going to be getting new brake pads in a few weeks (piston is all the way over and making a squeaking noise, no pads left so im hoping this is the sqeuaking) so I might as well ask how to install those to..

Thanks!

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
i tried grease in the throttle tube once, just slows the throttles "snap back", just use some contact cleaner and spray the bars clean if it is for a four-stroke it takes 10seconds to put it on but i haven't done 2smoke in a long time so im lost there.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
The throttle tube assy is simple, you won't have any probs figuring that out. I never lube, only clean. Lube attracts dirt so if you must lube I recommend graphite.

BlazinBoy

Feb 13, 2004
Just loosen your cable at the throttle housing and remove the bottom halve of the throttle assy. Remove the top cover of the housing and remove the wheel that guides the cable. You should then be able to remove the throttle tube from the cable. clean all parts and handlebar tube. I use a teflon spray on the handle bar end and throttle tube for a lil lube and slap it all back together in reverse order. Dont use a huge amount of teflon lube...just enough to slick up the handlebar and dont forget to adjust your throttle cable. good luck!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Graphite powder (found in hobby stores) will make it slide like butter, without attracting dirt. I've used a light white teflon spray, and that also works well without attracting dirt.

The first time I made the mistake of using thick bearing grease. Worked fine until the temps dropped. The return snap was like watching it in slow-motion. Not good.

TravisP

Sep 11, 2003
This sounds funny but i got a tip from a local pro he used vaseline in a works connection aluminum throttle tube and it was NICE! I also like the dry graphite idea that is a good tip.

BJAWES

Mar 22, 2004
Brakes, take off rear wheel, before you take off the pads, push the piston back in. I would also losen the bleeder screw before pushing the piston in (some do, some don't, I do). Install the new pads, put all back together. Double check the brake fluid level. Note: try not to losen the bleeder screw to much, just enough to relieve the pressure from pushing in the piston. P.S. is the rotor in good shape? Did it get down to metal on metal? If so it may have gotten hot. What color is the brake fluid? bjawes

Top Bottom