INSTIGATING with INCA … not just another Evart ride!

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
I’m sure at least a few of you are wondering happened at the “INCA rides Evart” event on Wednesday … well, here’s the scoop, fresh from the bench of MTR’s newest Judge … for that reason, you know that you can fully trust this rendition to be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth … so help me Woodsy!

[See photo, Left]
On my early arrival to the Evart Trailhead I immediately noticed a banner attached to the DNR Trailhead locator sign [likely placed at the last turn leading to the parking facility to aid those riders who have such poor directional ability they have problems just finding their way in … let alone out?] … could this be my first indication that Ted and INCA were near?

[See photo, Middle]
At the official DNR Trailhead sign I was further amazed to see another banner … however, realizing that this is the season for both politics and conventions … and further, noticing the blue van sporting a tall sign inscribed: “Woodsy’s Delight” … yup, it has to be INCA and Young Ted!

[See photo, Right]
After a considerable period of discussion, getting acquainted, waiting for Mark Weissen … then waiting some more for Mark … we decided to amend the IWAAC’er Nominating Committee bylaws to permit Yound Ted plus one Judge to be a quorum … we then accepted secret nominations for President and followed with a role call vote. It was an extremely close election … but the expression on the faces of these two delegates tell the story, it’s official:

WOODSY for PRESIDENT
"Put a Dirt Biker in the White House"

Attachments

• #01-100_0812_edited.jpg
    #01-100_0812_edited.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 117
  • #02-100_0810_edited.jpg
    #02-100_0810_edited.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 96
  • #03-100_0809_edited.jpg
    #03-100_0809_edited.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
[See photo, Left]
After the arduous nomination convention, we managed to unload the bikes and get ready to ride … note that Mark is still absent! Before going any farther, neither Ted nor I were aware that Mark had taken sick and was not coming … he could not contact us … so, while we are now sorry to hear that he couldn’t make it … at the time our thoughts were of a different nature. I considered issuing a bench warrant for his arrest on contempt of court charges, or at the very least, failure to nominate! Knowing now that Mark was sick to his stomach makes complete sense … electing Woodsy as LEADER could easily produce such effects.

[See photo, Middle]
By approximately 11:15 the convention debris was completely policed from the area and we posted this sign for Mark … just in case … then we were off like the wind … at least I thought I was riding quickly considering the poor conditions: tight, rough, rocky, rutted, dusty, tree strewn, overgrown with bushes, and laden with deadfall … as you can tell, Evart is one of my favorite trails!

[See photo, Right]
However, in short order, I recognized that my ‘wind speed’ seemed to be more on the order of a ‘fart in the breeze’ … Ted and INCA had disappeared from my view in the distance … shortly after that, I noticed their dust had also settled before I passed through … man, Ted rides! After several minutes of pushing to my absolute limit I finally caught up with him at the intra-trail connector … I pulled up, parked my bike and took this shot … yup, as you can see, both INCA and Ted are sound asleep!

This really got the message through to me … I’ve got to learn to ride a bit faster … when the person you’re riding with has sufficient time to take a nap at the very first stop while waiting for you … then you are a ‘slooooow rider’ … [perhaps this definition should be placed in the MTR Dirt Biker Dictionary under the heading of Slow Rider?]

I suppose I could have told you that this is the true secret to Young Ted’s longevity … the ability to pull over on the trail and take a ‘Power Nap’ while still sitting on his bike … however, there are a few others who know something about my riding abilities so I’ll stick to the first scenario for now despite it’s obvious deviations from reality. Besides, although I have appended Ted’s name as one of the authors of this trail log … he might decide to post his own version if I stray too far from the facts.

Attachments

• #04-100_0787_edited.jpg
    #04-100_0787_edited.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 98
  • #05-100_0788_edited.jpg
    #05-100_0788_edited.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 106
  • #06-100_0789_edited.jpg
    #06-100_0789_edited.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 118

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
[See photo, Left]
An introspective portrait of the ultimate Dirt Biker … Young Ted at home on his ride, INCA, in the woods …

[See photo, Middle & Right]

After a while I found my groove and really began wicking it up. Ted had grave troubles trying to stay sufficiently far ahead of me to catch some action shots, so I slowed down enough to give him time … notice that I am upright and moving! I tried to ‘digitally alter’ the photos to impart a massive dust cloud behind my machine but Ted had locked the images and I couldn’t break the copyright code … so, instead, I’ll inform you that at the exact moments these photos were captured, we experienced a rare meteorological phenomenon known as the “Evart Micro Burst” which instantly diluted my massive dust cloud with invisible atmospheric diffusion thereby making it total invisible to digital cameras … sorry, you just had to be there to see it! It was truly awesome!

Attachments

• #07-100_0792_edited.jpg
    #07-100_0792_edited.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 101
  • #08-Terry1.jpg
    #08-Terry1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 102
  • #09-Terry2.jpg
    #09-Terry2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 107

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
[See photo, Left]
After reaching the clear cut area, riding with me had finally gotten to Ted … I think his words were something along the line … “it’ll be easier for me to maintain your pace if I leave INCA behind and just walk”

[See photo, Middle]
At that point I really became irritated, grabbed a handfull throttle and blasted off into the wild blue … after a few minutes, I stopped and hid in the bushes and caught this shot of Ted flogging INCA trying in vain to catch up! You can tell that he was seriously impressed by my speed …

[See photo, Middle … Alternate caption for those who don’t believe the first one]
Ted, previously having suffered defeat to one of the sand hills in the bowl at the north end of the trail, was determined to correct this situation. With a blast of initial speed, INCA hit the slope at full throttle in second gear … the roost was huge … Ted would not be denied … another major sand hill conquered! If you’ve been there, you know how steep these hills are and how soft the sand can be when it is dry … Ted was really excited by this climb!

[See photo, Right]
We stopped at the memorial for fellow rider, Steve McLaughlin, and paid our respects. What a peaceful and beautiful site for his memory.

Attachments

• #10-100_0796_edited.jpg
    #10-100_0796_edited.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 101
  • #11-100_0800_edited.jpg
    #11-100_0800_edited.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 96
  • #12-100_0801_edited.jpg
    #12-100_0801_edited.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 90

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
[See photo, Left & Middle]
You can’t escape a Nestrick trail log without a couple of scenery shots … these caught my fancy aside a small lake on our return south on the west side of the loop. The day was absolutely perfect … calm, sunny, warm and shared with a friend on the trail!

[See photo, Right]
Finally, this shot brings something to mind, namely the fact that ATVs are rapidly widening the entire trail from its original motorcycle-only specifications. Last year I noticed that Quad tracks were only highly visible on the small, southernmost loop. This year, I could easily see them throughout the entire trail! While the Michigan DNR web site still lists the area as: Evart Motorcycle Trail … you’ll notice that the Trailhead sign reads: “Off-Road Vehicles Trailhead – Evart Trail.” Someone has affixed this message to one of the Trailhead Sign posts … it doesn’t seem to be working.

On a lighter note, I had my best ride of this year at Evart with Yound Ted on INCA. He is a gentleman and a scholar, and she is an amazing bike. We rode, rested, talked and connived about Woodsy for an entire afternoon … it just doesn’t get much better than that!

terry nestrick and Ted del Solar :cool:

Attachments

• #13-100_0806_edited.jpg
    #13-100_0806_edited.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 100
  • #14-100_0807_edited.jpg
    #14-100_0807_edited.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 96
  • #15-100_0811_edited.jpg
    #15-100_0811_edited.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Terry has done a good job, as always, on the report. Of course I can do some adding too. It's clever and sneaky to add that - so help me Woodsy. You always give yourself an out. Similar to, head for the round house Nellie, they can't corner you there.
The Woodsy's Delight Emergency Kit was given to Terry before riding, just in case. We came close to using it too. Another caption to my walking picture is that I was hunting for a squirrel. When I got to the logged over area, I missed where the trail went and had to do some scouting and looking before seeing that the trail doesn't get into that logged over section at that point.
All in all, it was a memorable ride, as every ride is. That I was able to be a "helping hand" to Terry, is of course a comfort. That we can co-ordinate in other ways just happens to be Woodsy's problem. The fat lady will never sing if I can help it.
There is more to the IWAAC part but I don't have it ready to post yet. It may wind up on the situation thread instead. It is just a joy to be an Irritate Woodsy At All Costs member. Something must be working if he can make it to Constantinople and the Turks.

Lets Ride
Young Ted

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
and the saga continues...
How is it that everywhere I go I hear people say of Young Ted that he is a "gentlemen and a scholar"? I mean, ok, maybe for the first ride or 2 he can come off like that but, come on Terry, you have been following DRN for a while now and is that the BEST you can do?? You could have included things like "a sneaky fast, deceptive kind of trail rider, who is a SURPRISINGLY witty kind of chap that one minute will be riding beside you on the most beautiful trails in the state and the next minute he will be conniving some waitress into pulling the wool over your eyes" :rotfl:
Oh wait a minute, you just admitted to being out of the same mold didnt you!! At least your comment about conniving agaist an innocent bystander such as myself is DEFINITLY a trait that you two IWAACers have in common! Of course, I would have to be NUTS to say I didnt appreciate the "put a dirt biker in the White House" theme :cool:
Guarenteed, if it happened, ALL of our boys in Iraq would have KX500's for chasing those camel riding terrorist! :)
On a more serious note, GREAT write up brothers!! I am glad to hear you guys had a good time and you were able to find your way across the logged area using Teds "I think I hear a squirrel over there" technique - at least you didnt have to fire your only shot (only one arrow per kit)!
THANK YOU for taking the time to do another GREAT job Terry and Ted!!
Young Ted: VERY GOOD TRY at getting you two lost!! I give you an "A-" for a SPLENDID effort and another "A-" for allowing yourself to be photographed while "sneaking up on an unsuspecting pre-burnt squirrel" :thumb:
A quick question for the both of you - are my eyes deceiving me or is Ted trying to push that big Oak Tree over on top of Terry in Picture 3 on the first page? Just asking because you NEVER can tell about those IWAACers :) NEVER say ol Woodsy didnt foreworn you of Father Nelsons sneakiness Terry!!
Life was so much simpler when I was able to ride.....
These write ups keep me Dreamin and Steamin!
Woodsy

Nestrick

Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 6, 2003
Hey Woodsy

... after peepin' ... it's dreamin' & steamin' we all wish YOU to be keepin' ...

If our ride report gave you a few chuckles, then our efforts were a success!

... however, Ted has more in store ... you may ask who for ... all I can say is EVERMORE ... that Ted, he's never a bore ... beware of IWAAC'ers at your door!

terry nestrick :moon:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Forgot about this yesterday. Terry gives himself way to little credit as a rider. He went into the bowl by way of the rock filled wash and back up the same way without trouble. I don't think a poor or beginning rider would be able to do that. On the other hand, he gives me credit for being fast, which many of you know is not the case. I bring up the end of the group a lot of the time.
As for the oak tree, I never paid any attention to it. I'm not about to argue tree type with someone who goes by the handle of Woodsy. On the matter of sneaky, who is the one that circles in the woods and then comes up behind you? This should probably be - are the ones.
Yahoo yourself - name caller.
Goody, goody, more laughs.
Young Ted

Top Bottom