insulation for silencer packing?

kawakid

Dec 18, 2003
I am repacking my silencer and was wondering if it was ok to use regular insulation(like the kind in the walls of your house) to pack it?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I've been using it for years with no problems. It is cheap so I repack my silencer every couple of months.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I have also been using it for some time. Works just as well as the FMF stuff, but doesn't last quite as long. It is dirt cheap though. Will continue to use it.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I wouldn't use the wall type stuff. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a roll of pipe fiberglass. Various widths, but I like the 4 inch. You can get a 20 ft roll for little of nothing and it is very easy to use for packing.

I've used it for years, but it doesn't last as long...AND don't let anyone stand directly in the exhaust (unless you don't like em) the stuff WILL blow on you and itch like crazy.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I use the run-of-the-mill stuff and have never had any blowout problems. I find if you pack it a little tighter than the bike stuff it works quite well. Never thought of using the pipe insulation, seems like an even better solution(ease of installation).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom