randy nelson

May 10, 2003
Hello I am finally getting my 89 kdx 200 used bike put back together and have gone through the motor and replaced seals, gaskets ,repaired kips system ect.

I have a question on the reed intake assy. On my block the reeds fit ok , are within limits ,not cracked, ect. Do I need the metal curved stops that is pictured in the manual on top[ of the reeds?

I do not have one on either reed, Not sure of the manufacturer , this was a used bike

Engloid

Apr 4, 2004
I don't know what it would do without the metal pieces, but I'd suspect that they may be there to prevent the reeds from fluttering.

Either way, I just put an FMF valve in my 91 model and for a reasonable amount, I'll part with the stock one if you want it.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
do the reeds have this little metal bar thing where the screws go? if so, they are most likely aftermarket reeds, and dont require the reed stop things. I have boyesen pro series reeds, which are carbon fiber reeds, and they use these metal thigns instead of the stock stops.

randy nelson

May 10, 2003
I checked again [took it off again and it does have the little bar as suggested in the last post.

I would expect these are boyson aftermarket reeds.

They seem to be one piece not two layered ones so I suspect these are the power type[607] reeds?

Should I replace these at certain intervals or change at top end overhaul ?

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
Replace them when they crack or start to fray at the corners. You'll know when they start to pack up as the bike will get hard to start but go like a mad thing when the revs get higher.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
Henk, could you expand on your comment? Will the bottom end revs act like a hesitation or flat spot (under a load) and then take off almost like a "hit" when the revs build up a little? If that's the case my perfect looking reeds in my RAD valve may be causing me a bottom end problem.

Henk

Apr 15, 2000
Rhodester
sounds more like you have an issue with the jetting being a bit rich either on the idle screw, the pilot or the needle depending here exactly the hesitation is. If the reeds are dying it wil just be hard to start then hit like a hammer. If the reeds look ok (no cracks or chips and seating well) they are probably ok and you need to look elsewhere

Top Bottom