Apr 24, 2004
The other day i was out driving and i stoped at a guys house who was building a track on his farm. i asked him about it and why he was doing it. and he said the kids kept riding through his felids so he said what the heck ill build a track for them . it was a basic track a few single tabletop and a double.......anyways he had no idea how to do it... so 2 weeks later i happen to be driving by again i saw him wit a concrete truck there. i asked what he was doing and he said im making the jumps out of concrete then put dirt on top of them....i looked at him as if he wanted to kill someone....and i haven never been back since to see how it is. evidently he was going to make the jumps then put 3ft of dirt on top of the jump.........can you say dangerous :bang: :coocoo:

rmracer

Oct 27, 2004
Why would he pay the extra money for concrete? Dirt would be better for a base I would think. I would also think that the dirt will just wash off the concrete when it rains . It will be interesting to see how this one turns out. :ohmy: :laugh: I would have never thought or heard of a jump base made of concrete. And wouldn't dirt wash out from under the concrete too and destroy it? Maybe he was thinking it would hold up better :laugh: What I am really wondering is how do you shape the concrete into a jump :think: Wouldn't it just flow all over the ground when you pour it unless if you had a frame? Sounds like a bad idea to me :coocoo:

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
I don't get it, what with the price of concrete vs. dirt you can mine onsite.

As far as building structure with something immovable(concrete) and then capping? I believe that they (at least used to) do similar stuff for indoor(and outdoor) SX. I know I watched them build the SX track in Jack Murphy Stadium (each year for three years) and they put down two layers of plywood over the grass and then used concrete lane dividers and huge concrete blocks as the majority of the 'shape' and then capped it all.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
I don't see it as being that big of a deal. Lot's of tracks use some type of filler to help with the shape and to use less dirt. I've heard of tracks using crushed cars in their table tops and telephone polls in their whoops. I think as long as they keep up on the maintenance it should be fine.

Feb 20, 2004
hey man give the guy some credit. id like to shake his hand because he was nice and instead of doing what most farmers do and start shooting at the kids he is builing them an alternitave method of having fun. sounds like a pritty cool guy. and capping with 3 feet of dirt the rain shouldn't sink that far in depending on the soil. like where i ride its basicly solid red clay and rain washes off mostly.

i plan on using the many rock piles to build a base on the big jumps then cover with dirt.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I think it was on the DirtWerx site that I was reading on track building. It had plans for all type of obstical construction, how long the jump faces vs the landing and how to determine the angles on both. It even talked about using telephone poles to build whoops. I knwo when I race AX that we always go down to the concrete before the night is over. I hate it when I hit the slick floor in the colleseum. :ohmy:

Top Bottom