inverted forks

ridersean

Mar 30, 2003
i just dumped 3000 into my 1992 kdx 200 now its a kdx 230 ported and polish with 50+ horsepower the rear suspension is fine as is everything else i have upgraded every part possible except the front suspension i think it would be super trick to use KTM front forks all i think that would have to be the same is the space between the two triple clamps is there anything else that has to be exact. how do you like that run on sentence lol thanks in advance

gjc32

Jan 9, 2004

I am interested in doing the same. Not necessarily KTM, but anything other than stock.

palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
Guys, you can get an amazing improvement in your front suspension simply by changing your springs. You gotta trust me, I know firsthand. Call Freddette and he'll help you size them. Best $60 you can spend. Follow-up the spring mod with some gold valves and you won't be sorry.

If you do go for the KTM front end, follow that up with the KTM rest of the bike! Then you'll really have something!

I love the KDX but after one one ride on a KTM 200 EXC I had to have one.

ridersean

Mar 30, 2003
i already have springs and gold valves and they made a fairly big improvment but still dont match up with my 2003 KTM 525 EXC so yeah anyone have any write-ups or anything? i'm just wondering what has to be the same and what doesnt matter if all else fails ill just CNC machine top triple clamps out of titanium and fit the forks that i want.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I think your best bet would be to use the KTM triple clamps and press the KDX stem in the clamps and use the KDX bearings.

I've seen it done on a DR350 with inverted RM or RMX forks. You might have to make a bushing or machine the clamps a bit. You might not be able to tell until you get the KTM from end in your hands and the KDX apart for measurements. It might be easier to try it with a KX front and then revavle them as they might match up a little better.

On thing to keep in mind in the offset. If differs much from the KDX offset it could cause handling problems.

Good Luck

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Different kx frontends have been put in the kdx by quite a few. Not generally a big deal. Some kx lower clamps don't fit the kdx stem as well as others, and some kx top clamps have dampened bar mounts, some don't.

Try a search or two and you'll have plenty to read. Also, there have been offers by some that have done it already to talk with kx-changers on the phone or email any needed info.

My riding buddy is getting rid of his 200exc, btw. Revalved/resprung by richard wilson (house of horsepower). If you're in the 'have to have' something mode, you might try the crf250r in the process. That's what changed HIS mind about his punkin. It's far superior to the ktm.

But, that's not what this thread is about..............

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
if all else fails ill just CNC machine top triple clamps out of titanium and fit the forks that i want.
Do this and you'll probably gain some customers!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
50+ hp :ohmy:

FLBusa

May 29, 2003

Yep... I have to agree. I installed the .40 springs in my 2000 KDX200 and went out for a ride with my usual weekend crew. After one lap through our 6 mile loop I came back with my jaw on the tank. Palmer69 took my bike for a ride afterwards. He ended up with the same expression. Now we're twins :eek:

mikeman

Jan 18, 2004
Save yourself a lot of trouble and get a nice pair of early 90's kx forks. If you can manage getting the proper triple tree for the forks with them then the tree will slide into your kdx frame like it was meant to be there. I personally have a 91 kx front suspension and it was one of the easiest and best mods ive made to the bike. I have been told and heard from many people that different fork springs will help the stock kdx suspension, but i still believe that there is no way the stock suspension will compare to the advantages the inverted style has. -Mike

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Stock suspension is a turd. Without compression and rebound adjustments, all the "polishing" you do to the stock suspension is just going to leave you with a polished turd. I've ridden stock, stock modified with springs, stock modified with springs and valves and KX125 (1996 vintage) inverted forks. By far and away, the inverted fork setup was so advanced that it wasn't even fair to compare them. With that said, you can go fast over rough terrain with the stock or stock modified forks but it is most likey due to rider skill and growth than a superior product.
(O.K. everyone, I'm ready,flame on. Just remember, unless you have the seat of pants experiance with the different "flavors" of suspension, you may only think you know what you are flaming about!)

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I agree with skipro3. The biggest hang up with kdx suspension is the lack of rebound dampening no matter what you do. I gained so much confidence with my 96kx250 front end that the bike no longer was a kdx. I think it is far better to find an entire front end so when you order parts you can remember how your bike is mismatched. :aj:

Attachments

• whoops.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 129

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
50+ hp WOW!! Your in CRF450 country Dude!!!

FLBusa

May 29, 2003

Skipro3...

I did some searching around and read that you did the KX fork swap to your KDX. I found some '95 KX forks w/ the triple trees. I sure wish I could find a KX front wheel for cheap but that will blow my budget completely. Instead I'm looking into getting my KDX wheel to fit since I have access to a machine shop at work. Would you happen to know what the diameter of the KX axle is? I may be able to find a bearing that will fit in the KDX hub and also on the KX axle.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
FLBusa:
I wouldn't mess with trying to get a KDX wheel on the KX forks. I sold my wheel to Jeff Fredette for $50 and my forks for $200, so keep in mind that you have a little equity in those parts of yours. Also, any brand of bike that was using the same forks a '95 KX used will probably have a wheel that will fit your setup. So you need not limit yourself to a KX wheel. My riding partner had a YZ wheel on Honda forks with KX triple clamp. His KDX brake rotor even fit the YZ wheel with a little work. Ever use eBay? A quick search there revealed these KX front wheels:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34284&item=2462434541
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35601&item=2462648233
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34284&item=2461803194
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10066&item=2462148348
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3662584216&category=310

These are selling with a tire that is probably worth what the auction price will go for.
Selling your wheel and buying another should only cost you the shipping charge if you are patient.
Good Luck and don't forget to show us some photos when you get that thing together.

Last edited:

FLBusa

May 29, 2003
Thanks Skipro3,

Ebay? Me?... Of course that's where I got the forks. I also did a search for the wheel but didn't get as many hits as you did. But then again... I searched a couple days ago. I not quite ready to give up on my KDX wheel just yet. I'm confident that I can find some bearings that will work if I can only get the axle diameter of a KX wheel. If I can't get a bearing I can modify the KDX axle. A big part of the fun for me is designing and fabricating something trick that nobody has.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I know what you mean. Half the fun of a KDX is tinkering with it to make it into YOUR bike. Of course, giving up your KDX wheel will eliminate the odometer, and that is at least a resonable reason to hang onto that hub. I looked into machining my KDX axle as well and found a machine shop would do it for about 20 bucks. I don't remember what dimensions were called for and if you don't get someone else to check and reply by this weekend, I will wrench on mine and get back to you with that measurement.
BTW, I "tested" the strengh of the KX forks my last ride out buy hitting a 20" tree stump hiding behind a small bush at about 40 mph. It stopped the bike cold and I sailed over the bars. I even remember looking back as I was in the air and saw the bike rise straight up in the air and set back down at an angle with the foot peg resting on the stump as if I parked it there. Then I hit the ground. Sure that I at least had a pinch flat, and more likey a bent rim and fork, I went back to the bike and discovered that everything was in perfect shape. I couldn't believe my luck. Those forks are tough. I've had less severe crashes that pretzled my forks in the past, but these showed no sign of damage at all. I did not fare as well and now have a torn rotator cuff.
As far as eBay search, try a search using the following words with wild cards:
KX* wheel
you will get more hits than needed but you should see many wheels.
Good Luck

Last edited:

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
If you want to keep a speedo/odo, try one of the trailtech units, www.trailtech.net, part #501-20 for '95-03 KX125/250. I put one of the regular KDX kits on the KDX and the only mods were to drill a small hole in the caliper bracket and swap one of the rotor mounting bolts. I don't have a lot of time on it yet, but everything is working well so far and I've got the cable ziptied enough so that there's not strain on the computer connector. I also have one of the top-mount protectors which use the barmounts. There's a guy who sells the KDX computer kit regularly on Ebay and if he also sells the KX kit, it'll save you a few bucks.

Best,
Greg

Last edited:

FLBusa

May 29, 2003
Skipro3...

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. Great story though! I did place a bid on a KX wheel on ebay while following one of your links. I'll just have to see how things pan out. It'll be a few days before the auction is over. Good thing is I'm not in a hurry.

GWHII...

I'm already ahead of ya buddy. :thumb: I got the trail tech Endurance about 6 months ago. It's been through quite a lot and has held up and performed flawlessly. Another reason why I want to keep the stock KDX wheel, although it probably won't be a big deal to get it to work with the KX wheel.

Thanks for the help guys. It's much appreciated. :aj:

I'll take lot's of pic's and post a how-to on my site for those wanting to take on the project in the future.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…