moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Thta is a VERY good price. As long as everything seems to be in order - you can allow a few bucks to add some goodies and give her a solid once over. Jump on it.

sn

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
I picked up my '01 for $1600... I had the same reservations, but the bike has been solid for me...

The best you can do on any bike is to look it over and cover what you know, the rest is instinct and judging charchter..

You have the same chance of getting bent on a $2000 bike as you do a $1500 bike.... if it seems good, take it (or tell me who the guy is so I can.... lol)

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
Look good and hard at the swingarm/pivot linkage bearings, wheel bearings, and steering head bearings. These things made my $1200 '98 KDX NOT such a great deal afterall. Add to this chain & sprockets, new tires, air filter, and you could say I've had a big education in a short time with my bargain. The previous owner's total disregard for preventive maintenance can tack on the $$$ to your "deal", at least in my case. But hey, I love my KDX anyhoo. She rips, now! Good luck with your purchase.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
The bottom end of the suspension's bearings are prone to requiring regular lubing due to their location, (the underside of the bike) and their workload. Wheel axle bearings and steering stem bearings require regular maintanence as well. They're hard to check w/o dissambleing the bike. You might be able to put the bike on a crate or stand, spin the wheels and turn the handlebars to feel for play, sticking or grinding. You can almost assume that if the rear suspension has not been regulary cleaned and lubed that you will need new bearings down there. Good luck, all in all it's a great bike! :cool: :ride:

old_school

Apr 5, 2004
I Agree!!! I bought my 2001 recently for $1800. It cost an additional $500. to bring it back to the condition I wanted it in. That was mostly for normal wear and tear items like tires, brake pads, wheel bearings and fork seals.

Either way... $1300+ is a good deal. Jump on it.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
something sounds fishey if a dealer is setting a low price on a bike. Or maybe its only worth that much since all the bearings are shot (including those in the motor) and the chrome lining in the cylinder is flaking off and the shock leaked all the oil out last year.
Better bring someone with you who knows how to check a bike over really good.

Racer X

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2004
How bent are the forks? You could straighten them if they aren't too awfully bad. Like others have said, many folks upgrade their kdx's to better forks, so the availability of stockers is probably decent. Good luck!

jc

Sep 22, 2001
check the frame welds for chipped paint, maybe a sign of a crack or bend in the frame. have you ridden it? how does it shift? pop out of gear? at 1300.00 plus you still have plenty of room to spend money on it to bring it up to snuff before you are into it for more than it is worth. just my 2 cents worth. i would buy it and run with it!

Jun 1, 2004
yea its good enough to me but my buddy couldnt let me borrow his truk last week
so i have to get it monday

Doesnt it seem strange that no one has even come to look at this bike, Maybe it was meant for me.

Jun 1, 2004
I bought it, it has been wrecked, but the forks were replaced

it now has ufo graphics and acerbis guards on it

i rides ok, i rode it in my sield (only got to 2nd gear)

its not as pipy as i thought all two strokes were

Top Bottom