wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
I'm looking in a clymer manual for a 1991 yz125, and when u look at the front fork oil capacities they say its 564ml or 19.1 oz.

But the table underneath tells u the normal max and min height for the oil capacites.

So what happens if u were to clean the forks entirely, and just put in 19.1 oz in the tubes and blead the air out. Would u be good to go b/c the manual tells u the capacity is that much? I know oil level is the accurate reading and is crucial, but I don't understand the meaning for the capacity table...

Way back when before I knew anything about anything, I used to just go by the capacity table and put in the capacity amount into ea. fork tube. I never had any problems, but I didn't think it was ver smart after I actually thought about it a year or 2 l8er.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I would say that the capacity in ml or oz would be a good thing to go by if you are working with forks that have been completely torn down and cleaned. And completely free of old oil.

The couple of times that I have done seals, I know I wasn't able to get every bit of old oil out.

I used my handy home made oil level tool... Works like a charm!

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
well see, I've never gone by the level of oil, only b/c I always completely disassemble the forks when ever I do seals or anything. I want to make sure every thing is completely clean and fresh again. So when ever I would put the forks back together i would just be sure to measure out the amount that the book said and put that in. Easy and fast. But as far as measuring the level, I never went that far, only b/c I knew that everything was only covered in the oil that I put on it during assembly.

Top Bottom