Is the extended warranty a waste of money?

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Hi All!

I'm sitting here on pins and needles because in about 2 or three hours I'm off the the Kawasaki dealership to pick up the new KDX-220!

I was just sitting here thinking about the whole process and how well the purchasing process went, and how pleasant, and I had a question for you all... I know many people buy excellent used bikes with GREAT success and huge savings, but thru long experience, I've recognized that I'm the fraction of a percent part of the population that always gets the shaft on used equipment :) and so I buy everything new... everything...

I ended up purchasing a three year extended warranty on the KDX which, though I realize only covers a small percentage of problems, was only $260... I was told up front it doesn't cover wear items like chains, chainwheels, suspension seals (in fact 90% of suspension parts), unless its is VERY obvious it was a manufacturing defect, and body farings/parts, but was told that it covered almost all electronics/electrical and major engine parts that failed due to manufacturing or factory assembly defects.

The sales rep explained that though it is rare, if the CDI module failed, (in which case it is almost 100% a part fault) the cost to replace it out of warranty is almost $600, is that true?

Anyway, its just a piddly amount of money for three years of additional coverage and so I figured if i was getting a new bike and spending thousands on it... why not?

Did other go this same route? or should I have spent the money on Renthal bars or other useful bits?

Despite every nitpicking thing I can come up with (very few) I'm still anxious to get out of here and pick the thing up!!! :)

have a good one!

Feanor

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Oops... Search function! :)

Sorry all,

brain farted and asked the question before searching the forum... I found opinions both ways...

As an addendum in case this thread comes up as a search result for someone else :) Someone mentioned that extended warranties are pure profit for the dealers; I think that might be a bit strong as nothing in business is actually "pure", but rather I would think its more like a gamble... a gamble that is well stacked in the dealerships favor, but if you do win, (like roulette, you usually win big...

But I figured, I'm covered actually win or lose... If I lose and the bike breaks down in some unwarrantied area within the warranty period, at least I have a leg to stand on in a fight with the dealer as to who pays, as opposed to having no ammunition at all...

and If I win and get three bad CDI modules in a row... well, that good news is self explanatory...

and if the bike runs like clockwork for 3 years and 90 days with no problems at all, well, I lose $260 for that time, but for that peace of mind and that amount of time, did I really lose anything? :)

Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
JasonWho said:
If it was just $260 for three years, then that is a good deal to me. The standard warranty is 90 days on a 220. Keep searching and reading cracked, exploded, etc. 220 piston threads until you feel better. :-) Look on www.buykawasaki.com for the parts diagrams for your bike, then copy and paste the part number into the search box on www.ronayers.com. You can see all the multi-$100+ parts on it.

Did you get a 2004 or 2005?

Part Number: 21119-1432
Description: IGNITER
Price: $261.17

Hiya Jason!

I got a 2004 220 (they didn't have any of the 2005 in stock yet...) Thanks for the input!

Have a good one!

Feanor

dom

Dec 31, 2001
The dealer does not assume any risk on an extended warrenty, that is covered by the extended warranty company. When I worked at an electronics store the extended warranty cost the store 1/3 the retail price, from my dealings elsewhere I assume the profit margin is 50 - 66%. I've never had a problem getting 20% off of an extended warranty just by asking if they could give a better deal.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom