Is the REV pipe really worth it??

jblefty

Aug 16, 2001
I've got a 97 KDX220 w/ a FMF K-35 ,which I do believe is the torque pipe. The bike had it on when I bought it.
Question is.........
Would it really be worth the $ 200.00 to buy the KG-30 REV pipe for my bike?? I ride in the West Texas area, which means really flat with some brush. No real tight stuff like you woods riders. Maybe two or three enduros a season. Alot of 4th, 5th and 6th gear stuff. The bike runs great as far as I'm concerned, but for this type of riding would it be worth it to get the REV pipe. I know it is supposed to let the bike rev better. Would it be really noticeable? My riding partners have a KDX 200 and a KTM 250.

Thanks for your input

jblefty

ckattner

Oct 4, 2001
jblefty,
I don't have an answer for you, but PM me and let me know where you're from and where you ride. I am in Lubbock, but travel quite a bit to ride. Maybe we could get together sometime. Let me know.
Collin

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
PRO CIRCUIT

I would consider the Pro Circuit. I have ridden with both the rev and torque and PC pipes and feel that the pro circuit combines the best of both FMF pipes. It adds power throughout the whole powerband where the REV is for mid to top and the torque is bottom to mid. Plus the PC is about $30.00 cheaper and the Cust Service after the sale is great. Should a weld or something go bad, They will more than likely just replace it for you rather than fix it and FMF would probably say something along the lines of "UUHHHHH!!!" J.M.O. ;)

Obie

Kaw_Boy_5

Apr 18, 2001
Yes it is definatley worth it. I am sure the PC would be also great but I only have experience with the FMF. The Rev pipe would fit your type of riding much better than the torque. I bet you would not regret spending the money there.

jblefty

Aug 16, 2001
I haven't heard alot about the PC pipe. So you think it would work for my situation. Will the bike just flat out rev higher or what??
where is the best place to pick up the PC or REV pipe.

jblefty

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
My riding conditions in Las Vegas are very similar to yours (3rd to 6th gear), and the PC works good on my 200 all through the range, but really comes on strong mid to upper. I baught mine at "Rockymountainmc.com" for about $145, plus silencer (also cheaper), plus freight. Check out the ads in back of Dirt Bike Mag, etc.

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
Definately worth it

In my opinion, I feel it is definately a worthwile purchase. The fit is also as good as factory. Chaparel also carries the PC pipe for $179.00 to your door, or go to your local motorcycle shop and have them order you one and save the shipping cost. (about $165) ;) I feel you will be pleased. The PC Platinum is a plated pipe and the PC Works is a bare pipe you have to keep WD-40'd. I went Platinum and NO discoloration or rust yet.
Obie

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
What does your bud have on his KDX? Would he switch out with you for a test ride?
If you're going to Muenster, this weekend, I'll meet you and do a pipe switch/test ride.....

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Just because noone has argued to the contrary yet...I WILL!!!

If you're happy with what you've got, that's a good reason to keep it. The rev pipe (-30) is considerably larger (diameter) than the torque(-35). That's a good reason to keep what you've got, too! The rev is a big glass chin waiting to crunch on something.

My vote is to spend your money (isn't THAT great?? I vote to spend YOUR money!! :) ) getting your carb bored. Not much call for the RB part of it if you ride 4-5-6, but a simple bore to 36mm would be a BIG benefit for the thwart-throated 220 (stock is 33mm).

Of course...that does NOT fall under the heading of 'if you're happy with what you've got keep it.'

Just my $.02..which isn't worth diddle cuz I've never even SAT on a 220!! ;)

......Hey!! I know what I'm talking about!! I've been in 4th gear...uh...well...ummmm....a couple of times!

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
I never heard anyone talk about the burn factor of the PC pipe because it is large and bulky right near the inside of your right leg/calf. If you do not wear riding boots you will have some good burns on your leg/calf by the end of your riding day. My friends that do not wear boots found out the hard way when they took my bike for a blast. The FMF torque pipe KG-35 is smaller in diameter and the pipe is bent different so it does not interfere your leg at all (well at least for me). I am not sure how the KG-30 is designed because I do not know anyone with that specific pipe on their bike. I am a tall person at 6.0 feet tall so maybe a shorter person with shorter legs would not have the same effect as I do. Comments anyone?

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
PC Pipe

Yes the PC pipe does protrude a bit but it is about the same as the rev, and you are right , that if you wear boots while riding it is no big deal and my question is how valuable are your FEET. I NEVER ride without my boots and i feel that anyone who does and only walks away with a burn on their leg got off lucky! My .02cents worth

jblefty

Aug 16, 2001
After talking to others about my pipe, I'm wondering if I really have the torgue pipe. Here's what is stamped on the side of the pipe and stamped on the mount tab.
Gold Series FMF Fatty, K-35 with the numbers 201296 underneath the K-35.
Is this a torque pipe or what. And what does it say Fatty on the side?

Help!!

jblefty

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
i've got a 95 200 and i just took my first ride with the Rev pipe. WOW! incredible difference from stock. you do lose a little bit on bottom, but not much. before the pipe i had to slip the clutch to wheelie in 2nd and 3rd. with the pipe i just twist the throttle and the front comes up. it hits like a 250 now and sounds like a kx60. btw i kept the stock silencer.

owenlo

Oct 28, 2001
" just took my first ride with the Rev pipe. WOW! incredible difference from stock. you do lose a little bit on bottom, but not much. before the pipe i had to slip the clutch to wheelie in 2nd and 3rd. with the pipe i just twist the throttle and the front comes up. it hits like a 250 now and sounds like a kx60. btw i kept the stock silencer."

mprest4 is right about the rev now put alot more bottom end in the mix and you have a Pro Circuit ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom