Is There No One That Knows How To Time A Dr100?

MICXSTER

Mar 9, 2004
I THOUGHT I WOULD POST THIS AGAIN. I AM STILL TRYING TO FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN SAY HOW TO SET THE CAM
TIMING ON A DR100 '83-90 SUZUKI. I NEED TO KNOW WHICH MARKS ON THE CAM GEAR TO USE AND WHAT TO ALIGN THEM TO. IF NO ONE KNOWS MAYBE SOMEONE WOULD KNOW OF A WEBSITE THAT WOULD HAVE THIS INFO . THANKS. :uh:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
MICXSTER said:
I THOUGHT I WOULD POST THIS AGAIN. I AM STILL TRYING TO FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN SAY HOW TO SET THE CAM
TIMING ON A DR100 '83-90 SUZUKI.

I can't say... :moon:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
MICXSTER said:
TIMING ON A DR100 '83-90 SUZUKI. I NEED TO KNOW WHICH MARKS ON THE CAM GEAR TO USE AND WHAT TO ALIGN THEM TO. IF NO ONE KNOWS MAYBE SOMEONE WOULD KNOW OF A WEBSITE THAT WOULD HAVE THIS INFO . THANKS. :uh:

OK, OK, ya don't have to yell at us!!! :ohmy:

I don't know either, but here is an edickated, educiated, eduicated, aww crap, here's a guess. :eek:

Rotate your engine until the piston is at top dead center,'tdc'.
You can carefully use a screwdriver thru the sparkplug hole to feel when the piston is at tdc. When the piston is at tdc, one of the marks on the flywheel should line up.

Then rotate the camshaft until BOTH lobes are pointing straight up. One lobe will be pointing a little forward and one will point a little to the rear. Split the difference so that both are pointing up equally. If your bike has ignition points, they should be closed at this time. With the cam in this postition, check the cam wheel marks. They should either line up with the horizontal gasket surface on the head or they should point straight up.

Install the camchain and turn the engine over CAREFULLY BY HAND. Make sure nothing binds in the engine. If nothing binds, you shoud be good to go. :thumb:

BJAWES

Mar 22, 2004
Lobes have to be down? You should have a mark on the case housing and a mark on the cam gear. As to what mark to use? If you bring the piston up to top dead center this will be your compression stroke in which case both valves have to be closed. All timing marks are always set at top dead center on the compression stroke. If you do this and make sure both valves are closed that should give you an idea of what mark to use (if there are more than one). After you put the cam gear on you can slowly crank the motor by hand and watch the piston go down (from the side magneto cover which should tell you the TDC mark) and your next stroke will be the exhaust valve opening as the piston comes back to the top. Be careful you can bend valves if the piston hits them. Also if you get the cam gear a tooth off in either direction the bike will not run or run like crap<- either the intake valve will open to soon or the exhaust will. Remember piston at TDC (top dead center) and both valves completly closed. hope this helps- bjawes

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
TravisP said:
dont the lobes have to be down so there is no tension on the valves when cover is installed?

Yes. :ohmy: Brain fart.

In a modern engine that uses cam followers that are located directly on the valve springs (spring cups), the cam lobes point up.

On an engine with rocker arms the lobes point down, away from the rocker arms. This is most likely the configuration of the DR engine.

Top Bottom