jackflack44

May 3, 2008
On my 2003 KX100 I have a ProCircuit Platinum Pipe with an FMF Shorty Silencer. Is this a good setup?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Nope.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Nope.

Good setup for what? A shorty is way too loud and doesn't have a spark arrestor for woods / trail riding and really doesn't give you much on the track besides noise. KNowing what you actually plan to do with something generally will get you more help.

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
I want it to be quiet and can suffer performance loss

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
A stock muffler is probably about as quite as you can get but it's probably more expansive than an aftermarket one so i would look at just getting one with a spark arrestor. I didnt see much on FMF's website for your bike but pro circuit has one http://www.procircuit.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=265&idproduct=30181
I've never had any experience with spark arrestor equipped silencers but they seem to me that they would definitely be quieter than your shorty. But hey, maybe you can find some kid at the local track that bought an aftermarket pipe and would be willing to get rid of his stock one for cheap. Who knows. I don't really know if the aftermarket pipes are quieter than stock or not but it just seems to me that they would be.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If what you want to know is if manufacturers match components, then no. As long as the pipe sizes at the joint match up the will function together. Most manufacturers sell a variety of pipes and silencers to allow an array of tuning options. Will a Pro Circuit shorty give the same power as an FMF? Maybe, maybe not. Each design is intended to enhance a different area of the power band. The name on the piece is meaningless, it's the consrtuction that matters.

Is that what you wanted to hear?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You're welcome. :cool:

Try to word the question a little more specifically, oh wait, I think we've been through this already. :)

Top Bottom