sheeba

Aug 31, 2004
So my 250 is a bit much for my newbie skills. i can ride it but im just not having fun.nore do i have the time to ride evreyday and get good at it fast. i dont want to sell it and loose money so i was thinking about buying a used xr400 (for thier high resale value) ride it for a few months and sell and not loose significant amount of money? anyone ever do this?

edit: i weigh 250 6ft does the xr400 have enough power for me? also forgot to add a used xr400

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
I think you would be ahead to just keep on the bike you have. I don't understand what it is that is keeping you from having fun please tell us! you will never get used to it if you don't spend time with it. However if for some reason this just isn't going to work out and the bike is new you'll get hurt worse the longer it sits before you sell it. If the size and power of the bike is the problem try something smaller for a short time (i know it wont fit you right). or maybe the people you ride with are too fast for you (the problem I have) It makes me so tense it feels like Im running a very long race because im so tense. Now I just move as fast as I am comfortable to and I have a lot more fun plus I keep up better because Im focusing on my riding and only my ridding. just a few thoughts. Hope someone/something can help.

sheeba

Aug 31, 2004
i guess i meant not having as much fun as i could.the power band to abrupt i love it in the straights it scares the crap out of me and i love it :boss: but its too much in the woods.the reason i dont want to sell it because i plan on riding mx but i want to get into shape first and that would be a perfect time to ride the xr in the woods.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The XR4 will have PLENTY of power to move you around just about as fast as you'll want to go. It is significantly heavier than your 250MX bike but that's not all bad when your trying to get in to riding shape.

426HEMI

Jul 18, 2004
Why don't you just add some weight to your flywheel( very inexpensive), or possibly put a oversize piston in it, change port timing, a bottom/ torque pipe, a power now (more torque/ smother transition) either mod will help significantly or all would be even better. a fraction of the cost of another used bike.- just my two cents- you could possibly adjust your power valve to some degree for smother power. A sprocket is really cheap and gearing it up will definately decrease the hit.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
XR400 carried my lardass around for many moons. It will serve you well. Just get a 98 or newer, because I think they had the carb issues ironed out by then.

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Seariously i would get say a huge 15ounce flywheel weight for your rm. It takes the hit out and stops the wheel spin.

Top Bottom